Suggestions for upstream demand valve regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Nick27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to buy an upstream demand valve reg without breaking the bank. Or atleast buy a regulator that is styled after the Poseidon X Stream Black or after the Hollis 500SE. I heard a lot of good things about the Poseidon regs, but the only drawback would be that nearly nobody services them... oh, and that they cost more than my entire life. So the Poseidon regs are off the list for now. I don't know much of anything about Hollis 500SE + DC7 first stage and how well they perform... if you have any knowledge or experience with them, any info listed will be much appreciated. I had a Hollis DC3 + 100LX Octo and Primary, but I returned them as they tend to free flow and just have crappy breathing.

Please list any other good regulators that are a good all-around (cold/warm water, deep/shallow) (My budget is $800).

Why? Best bet if you're hellbent on it is probably a used Poseidon and learning to service them yourself.

Why? Best bet if you're hellbent on it is probably a used Poseidon and learning to service them yourself.
Where would I find a used poseidon? Also, do you know anything about the Hollis 500SE? I really got my eyes on it but idk how good of a reg it is along with the first stage DC7...

I picked up my XStreams used (SB or eBxx). Sent them to AirTech for their first bit of love (yes, did need some parts updates). Well worth it, and I love them!

Search and you may find....

I picked up my XStreams used (SB or eBxx). Sent them to AirTech for their first bit of love (yes, did need some parts updates). Well worth it, and I love them!

Search and you may find....
What is SB / eBxx ?

SB is ScubaBoard (classifieds) and the other is the great big global auction site that shall not be named here...

Where would I find a used poseidon? Also, do you know anything about the Hollis 500SE? I really got my eyes on it but idk how good of a reg it is along with the first stage DC7...

The Hollis 500SE is downstream design. An easy and natural breathing second stage, but for me it was a bit wet in some positions. Not quite as wet as the Omega II, to which it is very similar, but still wet enough to be an annoyance. The exhaust valve was replaced in hopes of correcting the issue, but did not help. I have not seen other reports of wet breathing with the 500SE, so perhaps I was unlucky with the one I purchased.

SB is ScubaBoard (classifieds) and the other is the great big global auction site that shall not be named here...
Shall not be named here? Alright, keep your secrets...

The Hollis 500SE is downstream design. An easy and natural breathing second stage, but for me it was a bit wet in some positions. Not quite as wet as the Omega II, to which it is very similar, but still wet enough to be an annoyance. The exhaust valve was replaced in hopes of correcting the issue, but did not help. I have not seen other reports of wet breathing with the 500SE, so perhaps I was unlucky with the one I purchased.
Who makes the Omega II? Also, did you run your 500SE with the DC7 reg?

Back
Top Bottom