Suggestions for Underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valligurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not a photographer. But, I'm seem pretty good at land shots with my canon rebel. I seem to have an eye for composition. But I'm technologically retarded. I have a cheap sea and sea for underwater shots. I hate the crappy photos I'm getting with it. The rebel has spoiled me. I'm thinking of getting a housing and accessories for my rebel. Can anyone give me suggestions as to the necessary equipment? I'd like to get a housing that I might be able to use when I upgrade my rebel. Is there a housing that would work for more than one canon product? Any advice and info would be much appreciated. I'm going to Fiji in February and want to get some GOOD underwater pics.

Most of the housings for dslrs are camera specific - which means a new model will not fit without some DIY...and some housings won't fit newer models no matter the DIY you do. Best to talk to the guys at Reef Photo about your needs so they can give you some specific options to start thinking about. www.reefphoto.com

If you aren't sure about housing a dslr - you're looking around $3-4000ish to start with a complete system assuming you have the right lenses (housing, ports, strobes, cords, tray, arms...) - there are plenty of compact digitals out there that are more than capable underwater. A good place to start is in the Sticky at the top of the UW Photo area (follow the Pink Link in my signature) - information on everything you will need to get you started on both compacts and dslrs.

There are always trade-offs and you can't expect a compact to perform like a dslr in all regards. Compacts are a great way to get good images without spending a complete fortune...they are also smaller and more versatile (you can add wet mate lenses to shoot super macro to WA in the same dive) for some.

You already have a Rebel, so I don't need to tell you what nifty things they offer :)

thanks alcina, I'll start there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom