suggestions for relocating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancun, An hour to the caves, two hours to Cozumel, 20 minutes to the airport. no shore diveing anywhere tho.

Marvel:
As usual, Grier said it all. The only thing that I can add is the beach diving is AWESOME in my side yard in Lauderdale By The Sea.

(That's only because you get to dive with Marvel when you dive there! Or at least share your surface interval...) :wink:

I don't know if Tampa wopuld be a good choice, as the diving on the gulf coast can be iffy.

Have you thought about the Orlando area or West Palm Beach?

schancr:
I currently reside in MN, and am trying to gather opinions on where would be a good place to relocate. I currently travel for work, and I would like to relocate myself somewhere that would offer some new diving opportunities within a short drive on the weekends when I am home. I am interested in completeing some additional certifications as well. The only real criteria I have is that I need to live within about a 1 hour drive of an airport. I am looking at Tampa and surrounding areas currently, but am really not familiar with that area at all. Can anyone offer any insight on good dive clubs in the area, nice communities to live in, etc... ( I am a 27 year old single male. I'm not crazy about metro areas, as I grew up in a small midwest town. ) Any info / advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tampa is no different than Orlando, or Ft. Lauderdale, in as much as that they're all large metro areas. I relocated here 10 yrs ago from a big city with a small city's heart, San Antonio, Tx, and as I'm certain my (infamous :wink:) buddy Grier will agree, once you get over the "culture shock," you'll love it here in So. Fla. This area has such flavor it's addictive!!!

Tampa Bay isn't to bad, if you can hook up with someone that has a decent boat there actually some good dive spots up and down the Pinellas County coast. The life here is pretty good, starting to get a little expensive compared to surrounding areas. Your only a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from some good springs up and around Crystal River/Ocala and such. And about a 3 hour drive to West Palm Beach. I have to agree that the east coast has better salt water diving.

I personally don't care to live in Orlando, too touristy. I have to work out there once a week, and I haven't seen anything there that has impressed me yet. West Palm and south is pretty good from what I have seen and heard. The best thing to do is come out for a couple of weekends and see for youself.

Paul

There are some less populated areas to the north and west of West Palm Beach. Prices are definitely on the rise, but from what I understand you could still get a nice piece of land for a reasonable amount. I've heard of "The Acreage" and Loxahatchee, but I've never been to either and am not too sure where they are. An international airport, downtown area, and great diving wouldn't be too far away.

I used to live down in Hollywood, and miss it quite a bit. Its not a quiet little town though.

Scubaguy62:
Tampa is no different than Orlando, or Ft. Lauderdale, in as much as that they're all large metro areas. I relocated here 10 yrs ago from a big city with a small city's heart, San Antonio, Tx, and as I'm certain my (infamous :wink:) buddy Grier will agree, once you get over the "culture shock," you'll love it here in So. Fla. This area has such flavor it's addictive!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. Of course, having friends like the ones here have made the transition much easier. It's like having a big, extended family where everybody dives!

Come down for a visit some time. Be sure to spend three or four days, and make some time to dive with us. We'll give you the pros and cons about the different areas and go diving with you pretty much anywhere. (I still like the southeast part of the state best, but that's just me. There's lots to like about the Tampa area too, but I'm hooked on the beach diving!)

Move to Lakeland!

We are truly in the center of the universe here!

REally housing is inexpensive. Schools are not bad. Tampa or Orlando airports are within 1 hour.

I can be at either coast in 2 hours.

I can get to Crystal River in 1 hour and 10 min. Ok top that one Marvel! :crafty:

I can make it to Key Largo in 4.5 hours (good for a quick weekend trip).

No really south Florida is real nice but if you want to get to other areas like SC or GA then you are pretty much WAY down there.

Try Lakeland/Area.

oceanjunkie:
There are some less populated areas to the north and west of West Palm Beach. Prices are definitely on the rise, but from what I understand you could still get a nice piece of land for a reasonable amount.

Just watch out for the tigers :wink:

Don't come to Ft Myers - we dont have an international air port (RSW), we aren't close to any diving (coughcough), and most importantly, there isn't any housing available at all... :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom