suggestions for photo quality printer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My old HP printer finally crapped out on me last night. I've had it since long before I started taking pictures, so I figured I'd replace it with a wide-format photo quality printer I could use to print out some of my better underwater shots.

In checking out specs and reviews, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:
  • HP PhotoSmart Pro B8850
  • Canon PIXMA Pro 9000
  • Epson Stylus R1900

Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these? Other ideas or suggestions for a wide-format inkjet printer? Comments on what to consider or watch out for?

Each of these is in the $450 to $500 range, so I think they're probably comparable.

I'll be connecting it to a PC (2.8 GHz, 3 GB RAM) running Windows XP

Any feedback is appreciated.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most of the photographers in my camera club who do their own printing prefer the Epson. I have the Canon because it came free (after rebate LOL) with my Mac. I like it but I'm not as fussy as some of my club mates.

Hi- Normally I am a lurker here looking at all of everyones amazing photos but I do love my printer so much I felt compelled to speak up!

I have the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 and I think its amazing! I don't know anything about the other 2 but I like that the Canon has individual ink tanks ( 8 in all I believe). It really seems like it provides a more accurate representation of the colors when printing. The ink is not cheap by any means -esp. when having to buy all at once but the prints are really professional looking.
I connect with a mac but I can't see why connecting with a PC would be any different. Its pretty easy to set up and use. You will have to read the manual the first time as I remember having a hard time getting started because the trays have to be opened a particular way for particular size paper.
Its fairly quiet and fast. I can't say enough good things about it. Please let me know if there is something more specific you wanted answered.

Hope this helps a little.

Lorrie

I have used both HP PhotoSmart and Epson Stylus photo printers (albeit not those exact models) and I would rate the Epson slightly higher than the HP... however, I have issues with Epson printers because they tend to get clogged up easier when sitting idle. HP's answer to this (on most models) is to replace the print head along with the cartridge. If you're buying new cartridges, they are comparable in price, however, to save some money, I have had positive experiences with refilling all types of HP cartridges; the ink quality is the key to being successful. My Epson cartridges, on the other hand, are only reserviors and difficult to refill. All of the Canon printers I have had were the same as the Epson.

I have also tried a couple of places online that offer refilled/remanufactured Epson cartridges and my stylus doens't always recognized the cartridge, but it still prints. You can save some money that way, but it seems like I get better mileage out of a new cartridge.

Ken

In checking out specs and reviews, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:
  • HP PhotoSmart Pro B8850
  • Canon PIXMA Pro 9000
  • Epson Stylus R1900
Any feedback is appreciated.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use the B8850 and it has been flawless. If I needed another, I but it again.

We have several printers, including an Epson 4800, an Epson 800, a Canon 9100 and an HP. In my experience it is easier and more reliable to get good paper profiles for the Epson inks with a variety of third party papers. While you can get ICC profiles for Canon and HP, they aren't quite as good (meaning what you see is what you get) as the Epson stuff. For most underwater stuff, this probably isn't an issue since who knows what the correct colors are anyway but if you shoot topside at all and do lots of people stuff, the skin matching is important. Whatever you do, if you care about good color output with consistency, don't get tempted to buy third party inksets that appear quite cheap. You won't be able to get your colors close at all and next week's cartridge will be different than last week's.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom