Suggestions for new Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new computer. I went from a puck style computer to a Deepblu Cosmiq+, and then a Suunto DX with air transmitter. I like the Suunto but I am now selling because I find it difficult to read the small numbers with my aging eyes. I don't use any of the tec features of the DX, such as multiple gases on one dive, rebreather functions, etc. I am an advanced diver with 90 or so dives, and I really only use air and nitrox, and dive 2 to 3 times per day. I don't think I will ever use a rebreather, and doubt I will ever do sidemount, multiple tank dives.

The display on the Cosmiq+ is great, and very easy to read even without readers in my mask. I don't like that it doesn't have air integration, which is why I am not going back to that one. I like the look and reputation of the Shearwater products, but I know I will not be utilizing many of the advanced features they are known for.

My wife has an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 console, and uses my old Cosmiq+ as her backup computer. I have considered getting a console computer and just using a wrist computer without air integration, but I have come to like not having the extra hoses dangling.

I have looked at the Aqualung I770R, Mares Icon HD (reviews not great), Petrel, Teric, Scubapro G2, and am still not sure which would match my current diving habits. Anything I am missing or should know before buying yet another computer? Thanks.

Hi @Guitarcrazy

Perhaps you should put some additional thought into what decompression algorithm(s) you would dive. That would narrow down the number of choices, even wider if you include hosed AIs.

A few things you could think about:
1) The Deepblu Cosmiq+ runs a conservative version of Buhlmann, was the deco algorithm OK for you?
2) Your Suunto DX has a wide range of adjustment, What setting to you dive it on? At P-2, it can be quite liberal.
3) What deco algorithm does your wife use on her PP3, DSAT or PZ+? DSAT is liberal, PZ+ moderate. Do you want to generally match your wife or is that not important?
4) The Aqua Lung runs PZ+, see above
5) The Mares runs Mares RGBM, considered conservative.
6) The Shearwaters run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors, widely adjustable over the entire range
7) The Scubapro runs Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB, considered conservative, elective use of "human factors" breathing rate, heart rate, skin temperature, all increase conservativeness

There are many choices these days when considering an AI computer, good luck in yours

I used p-2 with the DX and it worked fine. The cosmic+ and oceanic are pretty close, but DSAT did give a bit more bottom time. I probably wouldn’t go with the suunto algorithm again but the others are all fine.

If there was a midrange computer with color and air integration I would be all over it. The Perdix or Terics with air get pretty expensive and have so many features I would not use. I don’t want to buy something that’s not reliable, but I would prefer not to spend money on features I won’t ever use.

I don't think midrange price applies to the color, air integrated computers you are talking about, Aqua Lung i770R, Mares Genius, Scubapro G2, Shearwater Perdix AI or Teric, Suunto Eon Core or Steel.

The Mares runs Buhlmann rather than Mares RGBM, I've not seen any reviews. Too bad your DX transmitter does not work with the Eon series or that could save you money. The Steel will eventually run Buhlmann in addition to Fused RGBM

Being able to actually see your computer is priceless. Spring for a more expensive one with a great display. You will not regret it.

Have you tried "gauge-reader" lenses for your mask? They also aid in seeing those tiny closeup things you've been missing.

Splurge on any Shearwater (new or used) and you have a new friend for life. I have a P2. I have worn various Suunto's and Scubapro DCs, and the P2 is simply easier to use with better viz. Note that I'm in my mid 50s and a recreational diver.

I think the Shearwater Perdix is the best computer on the market at this time.

I have a Perdix AI, 2 Terics, and 2 Predators. I think the Teric is the best of the lot. Objectively, the Teric has all the features of the Perdix, plus a better compass. But, it's really down to personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom