Suggestions for lighting up flag/float during night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use a Tek Tite Mark-Lite on my flag.

If you shine your dive light up at your flag while you are doing your safety stop, it lights up the water around your flag. In addition to increasing the visibility of your flag, it lets the captain know to expect you up in a few minutes

The fact that you are lighting your flag at night puts you high up on the wise-diver totem pole, many divers don't light the flag, and some don't even use a flag.

The latter we don't typically hear from on a dive board.

Shining your light upward during the safety stop is worth doing, especially as you ascend, it'll get brighter.

And if you're diving from a boat (that's how I've always done night dives, with a group) make sure it's lit up. And if it's lit "by the book", it should show red/white/red on the "mast", so says Rule 27(b) of the Nav Rules. The larger offshore boats do this, though most small boats just leave their running lights on.

Get a bunch of raver glow sticks and blast Aviici over a waterproof speaker.

And if you're diving from a boat (that's how I've always done night dives, with a group) make sure it's lit up. And if it's lit "by the book", it should show red/white/red on the "mast", so says Rule 27(b) of the Nav Rules. The larger offshore boats do this, though most small boats just leave their running lights on.
e not b

I use a tank light on mine.

Back
Top Bottom