Suggestions for Key West or Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onepointfivethumbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all.

My folks want to go on a cruise for Spring Break (Late Feb/Early March) and it looks like my initial plan of going to Tortola to dive the RMS Rhone isn't happening.

Potential ports include Key West or Turks & Caicos, depending on the line and itinerary. Any must-see destinations? Most reputable operations? Best deals? Looking for a day trip, no liveaboards or expeditions.

I am an OWD with quarry certification dives last July, no one else in my family is certified so I'd be buddies with whomever and probably stick near the divemaster since I'd be more than six months without currency.

Open to suggestions.

Key West they have the Vandenberg which is a deep wreck and requires AOW.

With your experience and diving with insta buddies my advice is Turks & Caicos.
Most are wall dives and they have some that are close by in Grace Bay. The best sites are West Caicos and NW Point. Usually great visibility with no current.
Start in Grace Bay as it is shallower but still pretty.

Enjoy!!

No dive shops are servicing cruise ships in key west . The schedule doesn’t work.

How long is the stop on Grand Turk? Often they just run a cluster f*** DSD for folk. A legit dive is (usually) hard to squeeze in. Bohio is worth calling...

Key West they have the Vandenberg which is a deep wreck and requires AOW.

With your experience and diving with insta buddies my advice is Turks & Caicos.
Most are wall dives and they have some that are close by in Grace Bay. The best sites are West Caicos and NW Point. Usually great visibility with no current.
Start in Grace Bay as it is shallower but still pretty.

Enjoy!!
Actually, best sites are at French Cay! :)

EDIT - just saw the cruise stop part which means diving out of Grand Turk and not Provo - I have no idea on diving in Grand Turk so can’t help - for sure, they wouldn’t be going to French Cay. Likely best to book through the cruise line then!

Hey all.

My folks want to go on a cruise for Spring Break (Late Feb/Early March) and it looks like my initial plan of going to Tortola to dive the RMS Rhone isn't happening.

Potential ports include Key West or Turks & Caicos, depending on the line and itinerary. Any must-see destinations? Most reputable operations? Best deals? Looking for a day trip, no liveaboards or expeditions.

I am an OWD with quarry certification dives last July, no one else in my family is certified so I'd be buddies with whomever and probably stick near the divemaster since I'd be more than six months without currency.

Open to suggestions.

The water will be colder in Key West in February (low to mid 70s) and a little warmer in Grand Turk (mid to upper 70s) but still a little chilly if you are looking for warm tropical water temps.

Do you have a chance to call at any other ports further south in the Caribbean?

How long is the stop on Grand Turk? Often they just run a cluster f*** DSD for folk. A legit dive is (usually) hard to squeeze in. Bohio is worth calling...
I agree. If you will be stopping in Grand Turk, try to get in touch with the folks at Bohio. If anyone can get you diving, they can.

Bohio looks great +1 for that recommendation.
It's still a little too early to start making concrete plans re: other islands, I will keep this updated when an itinerary is decided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom