Question Suggestions for Jan dive trips as a single female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing! I think I was pulling the wrong month. This is great. Getting to Palau from Canada will suck, but I am going to start exploring. I booked a "warm up" LOB in the Bahamas from Dec 31 to Jan 6th with Blackbeard. So going to try that out first. Then explore upgrading to this for later in the year!

Cozumel, could be good, but finding a good place to stay might be an issue. Curacuo is another good recommendation, though finding a good place to stay there may be an issue also. The Explore Venture liveaboards have been good, though I'd be a little hesitant to recommend the Maldives, for a single female. It has nothing to do with Explore Ventures, it's the country.​

Amazing! I think I was pulling the wrong month. This is great. Getting to Palau from Canada will suck, but I am going to start exploring. I booked a "warm up" LOB in the Bahamas from Dec 31 to Jan 6th with Blackbeard. So going to try that out first. Then explore upgrading to this for later in the year!
Since you booked a trip to the Bahamas, I am going to assume that you will be flying out of YYZ and not YVR. (If you ARE flying out of YVR, there are non-stops to Fiji and I would recommend that you look into one of those.)

Keep in mind that for your budget of $5-6k, there may be "better" options than Blackbeards even within the Allstar family of Live Aboards. I personally have been on the Aqua Cat 5 times (also based in Nassau) and I love it. It has been said that Blackbeards is much like "camping at sea".

You might also want to take a look at something from the Explorer Ventures group of LOBs. They are running some very good sales (30% off in some cases) right now and it might bring something into reach that you hadn't previously seen as within your budget.

One final thought is that you may want to keep an eye on Single Divers. It is not a "single club", but a dive travel group that focuses on divers who for whatever reason are traveling alone. They may (or may not) have a trip that will catch your eye.

Might I suggest a cruise to the Caribbean. Just got back from 8 nighter to the ABC islands. Dived on all three. Lots of Canadians aboard.

Took a 12 nighter to the southern Caribbean i.e, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Barbados, Antigua, Granada, St. Lucia, Dominica and dived on 5 of the 7 islands last March. I don't think it was as expensive to cruise as it is to stay in one place for a week or two. Not only that but you don't have to worry about where to stay, where to eat and there is entertainment and activities to do when you're not doing anything else. A lot of Canadians cruise. And January is one of the cheapest times to cruise.

You typically can do 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, 21 day cruises or combinations of those. For example a certain ship may do a 7 nigther in the Southern Carib and then a 7 nighter in the eastern Carib. If you book a back to back you could go both. Some do 12 and 8 nighters or any combinations and alternate destinations. Just be aware that different cruise lines cater to different customers. Carnival tends to cheaper and younger, partiers, Royal and Norwegian tend to be families and/or a step above Carnival, Holland America tends to be older, Celebrity and Princess tend to be baby boomers and more upscale.

I dived every day with a female a couple years ago on a Royal Caribbean ship (before covid) who traveled alone. She was younger than me but we booked the same dives in three different ports so became dive buddies. My wife kind of adopted her when we got back on the ship.

Since you booked a trip to the Bahamas, I am going to assume that you will be flying out of YYZ and not YVR. (If you ARE flying out of YVR, there are non-stops to Fiji and I would recommend that you look into one of those.)

Keep in mind that for your budget of $5-6k, there may be "better" options than Blackbeards even within the Allstar family of Live Aboards. I personally have been on the Aqua Cat 5 times (also based in Nassau) and I love it. It has been said that Blackbeards is much like "camping at sea".

You might also want to take a look at something from the Explorer Ventures group of LOBs. They are running some very good sales (30% off in some cases) right now and it might bring something into reach that you hadn't previously seen as within your budget.

One final thought is that you may want to keep an eye on Single Divers. It is not a "single club", but a dive travel group that focuses on divers who for whatever reason are traveling alone. They may (or may not) have a trip that will catch your eye.
Thanks! Yes, YYZ. Which is good considering all of YVR is shut down these days...

I have heard that blackbeard is "roughing it", but figured it was a low-frills option just to get my fins wet, untill I figure out what's next. It was also such a last minute trip that some of the nicer boats were sold out around that time. And who knows....camping on the sea might be what I need to disconnect and get my bougey head to the real world for a bit - hahah!

Will check out the other options ! Thanks :)

Thanks! Yes, YYZ. Which is good considering all of YVR is shut down these days...

I have heard that blackbeard is "roughing it", but figured it was a low-frills option just to get my fins wet, untill I figure out what's next. It was also such a last minute trip that some of the nicer boats were sold out around that time. And who knows....camping on the sea might be what I need to disconnect and get my bougey head to the real world for a bit - hahah!

Will check out the other options ! Thanks :)
Have a wonderful time!

Back
Top Bottom