Suggestions for hard to fit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm short (5'6). Let's just get that out of the way. From the waste up, big strong man, but my legs are short. I have broad shoulders and chest, but my legs are short. I have short legs is what I'm saying... The last time I got fitted for a tux they took my measurements 3 times, said "That can't be right" and then brought me a jacket based on my legs and not their tape. I squeeze into it and I have my shoulders pulled back like a chicken.

"Why are you standing like that? Relax your arms."
If I do that I'll rip the arms off your jacket.
"Just do it"
Ok, pop pop pop as the stitches let go in a blaze of glory and they freak out. I told you..

Anyway I'm hard to fit. I'm not fat at all so my waste is thin (not as thin as in my 20's but still) If I size based on inseam I get bajillion inch waist. If I size based on waste I get a suit for a 7 foot tall guy. Apparently you're either short and fat or tall and thin, no mix in between.

I usually dive sans protection, every now and then I rock a shorty. Fortunately I'm in Florida and warm blooded so I'm fine and my dive group is constantly amazed as they're chilly in a full. But I have some 'winter' deeps coming up that might be chilly even for me. They don't make a full that fits me so I considered a farmer john. But looking at those, same issues. Going off my height I end up with a 34" chest, going off my chest I have knee pads around my shins and a groin between my knees.

Spending serious coin on a custom for very limited use probably isn't going to happen. I can't be the only one in this boat, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Freediving/Spearfishing suits are generally a lot strechier since they are unlined on the inside. That strechiness means that any given size can accomodate a larger size range. They are also usually two piece so you have more options to fit your lower and upper halves. The downside is that you have to lube it up before donning, since that unlined side won't slide on dry.

Ok, pop pop pop as the stitches let go in a blaze of glory and they freak out. I told you..

Did you yell "Hulkmania is running wild brother!" while that happened?

Anyways you probably need to go custom. Or go for something like a two piece free diver suit and see if you can get the pieces in different sizes.

Buy a suit that fits except for the length, then call Steve Gamble and drive up to North Florida and have him shorten the legs and arms for you. He can put elbow pads and what not on there in the right spot as well. It will cost you, but it will cost a lot less than a custom suit.

Other option is keep the shorty and get a good hooded vest. Your calves and forearms may be cold depending on the temp, but your core will be fine.

It won't fit right especially at the crotch.

it should if his torso length:chest ratio is fine and it's just stubby legs. Mentioned mainly since he said he rocks a shorty which would fit the same in those areas

I would go for the hooded vest+shorty first though depending on how cold it is. A 3mm shorty and a good 5mm hooded vest with proper gloves and boots will take me down into the high 50's for an hour comfortably.

Without knowing your weight, it is difficult to give good advice. In general, we tell people to pay more attention to weight range rather than height and this works better for people who are short for their weight.

If you are tall and thin and trying to buy a wetsuit for cold water, having your wrists and ankles exposed may be a real problem.

If you end up with a suit that fits reasonably well and is comfortable and does not leak water in and out, then having the sleeves and ankles a little long, may be a minor inconvenience. Some people are going to require custom suits.

Take a look at our suit size tabulation and if you have any questions, please let me know.

thanks

dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2y3drc.htm

Some of the manufactures have a broader rage of sizes that are orderable, but probably rarely stocked in stores. As pointed out above, if you can get close, maybe just some trimming at the end of the arms and/or legs.

Bare for example has a Large-Short and XL-Short sizes as an example: Size Charts - BARE Sports

This is pretty cool - Waterproof has an multi-measurement, interactive sizing calculator: Waterproof Sizing Guide

Back
Top Bottom