Suggestions for Getting around to dive in Hawaii in the 2021 car shortage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsuyoshi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could anyone local or familiar with islands Kauai or Maui suggest means of transportation for getting to the dive spots or boat dives these days?

The rental car shortage and lack of ride share makes getting around these more remote area seem difficult.

I also dont see how a uber driver would want to pick up wet dive gears.

Thanks

I booked a car at a "reasonable" price through Turo. Also, check out the Hawaii-only rideshare operation called Holoholo. You can get their app under the name Holoholo Mobility.

Aloha! What are your dates for diving in Hawaii? Maui and Kauai have somewhat different challenges with with rentals (in terms of availability). If you can stay on top of it you may find deals that can surprise you. I just returned from a week on Maui yesterday . . . we already had a rental car booked for the trip but 3 days before our departure I decided to look again at rates. I was thrilled to find multiple rentals for $300 less for the week. It's something you have to look at daily if possible but the rewards can be great! If I can help keep an eye out for pricing for you I'd be happy tp do so as much as I can. Feel free to send me a PM (personal message) if you like or continue to post here. I'd be more than happy to help with any questions you may have for above or below water. I've been on the islands for a bit over 20 years I will share any helpful advise I can. Good luck planning your trip! I think you'll find many wonderful and helpful people here on the board. Cheers, A

When I was there a month ago, the best I was was able to find was a Jeep from Maui Dive Shop in Kihei. Price is about $1k/week. My brother rented from Kimo's for about half of that. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom