Suggestions for diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am here in Khao Lak and on the verge of booking a 4 day/4 night liveaboard visiting Similans, Surins and Richilieu rock. First off, is 20,800 baht with all fees etc. included a fair price for this kind of liveaboard? I have not asked for discounts yet but all the ops here were quoting the exact same price.

The second thing is that I am sitting here and it is raining like mad for hours on end, I thought this is the prime diving season? Is it possible the monsoons have arrived 2 months early...does it affect dive conditions?

The other option is to do day trips to the Similans and also to Richilieu rock, although more expensive than a liveaboard on a per dive basis it also does not lock me in to a 14 dive commitment. I have never been for 4 days on a ship/boat and not sure how I would like it.

Liveaboard is the way to go, 20.800 Baht is a cheap boat, and the rain (we also have some rain today, the first in the daytrip since quite some time) won't affect the diving conditions at all.

thank steven. Yeah, I decided I would just do the damn 4 day liveaboard despite the fact that I am a bit short of time and wanted to initially do only 2 days...but I am here anyway and it would be a shame to speed by everything.

This particular liveaboard is with Seadragon on the MV Andaman (which I confirmed has a hot shower...the one thing I cannot give up :D), any feedback on this boat and op? Per some earlier Scubaboard posts they are very well recommended so I am encouraged with choosing them.

That was indeed quite some rain today! Just spoke with my colleagues at island 4 in the Similans - no signs of bad weather there. It's not fair :wink:

Happy diving
Karin

Ah, Karin, I'd rather have the rain here on the island and the customers happy on the boat! I don't mind a little rain (or even a lot once in a while). Keeps everything green :rain:

And k-bunch-o-numbers, hope you have a good trip. You do know that SeaDragon schedules include 3-day trips (even cheaper!), don't you? Or are you on a self-imposed schedule rather than the typical backpacker take-it-as-it-comes trip?

And k-bunch-o-numbers, hope you have a good trip. You do know that SeaDragon schedules include 3-day trips (even cheaper!), don't you? Or are you on a self-imposed schedule rather than the typical backpacker take-it-as-it-comes trip?

Yep, I did check the 3 day trip but I wanted to do Similans and most definitely Richelieu rock and the only way to visit both is on a 4 day. On a 3 day you can either do Similans or Richelieu but not both. Actually I have been traveling round the world for the past 5 months, I don't exactly have a schedule but I have only 10 more days on my 30 day Thai entry and I wanted to pass by Phuket and Ko Phi Phi also before leaving for Malaysia hence the "schedule" :)

Yep, I did check the 3 day trip but I wanted to do Similans and most definitely Richelieu rock and the only way to visit both is on a 4 day. On a 3 day you can either do Similans or Richelieu but not both. Actually I have been traveling round the world for the past 5 months, I don't exactly have a schedule but I have only 10 more days on my 30 day Thai entry and I wanted to pass by Phuket and Ko Phi Phi also before leaving for Malaysia hence the "schedule" :)
There are options to visit both Similans and Richelieu Rock on a 3 day trip, but I would prefer and recommend (a minimum of) 4 days.

Yeah, I noticed some others had some VERY nice luxury boats going out for 4 days but they were a good bit more. But Seadragon has been exceptional so far in their customer service so I am happy, hoping my first liveaboard experience is a success. I am sitting here in a restaurant and it looks like a hurricane is passing through, geez! I had no idea Thailand gets this much rain in March.

It has been a weird weather year.
Globally.

We don't typically get rain like we've had this winter. This past January was the wettest on record for Phuket, for example. But it also doesn't generally flood like it did this year in Australia and Brazil, snow like it did all over the US, or fail to snow like it did in the Alps.
You're not alone up there in Khao Lak with the storms...we've got thunder, lightning and rain here on Phuket tonight, too.

Back
Top Bottom