Suggestions for Diving the Perhentian Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMAdventure

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be visiting my brother in Malaysia in June. He lives on the island of Penang in Georgetown, but we are considering going to the Perhentian Islands for a few days to dive. The company that he got certified with there is now out of business, so we need to find a new outfit to go with. I will have my wife and three kids that will probably just want to hang out at the beach and snorkel.

Any suggestions for which dive shop to use or maybe a better area to go diving in June?

How old are your kids? Usually families will stay on the big island (Perhentian Besar) since it caters more towards families. The small island (Perhentian Kecil) aims more at the younger backpacker/party crowd.
The 'resorts' on Besar are a bit overpriced in that they don't really offer resort amenities like you might be used to. But if you're just looking for decent accommodation and food then you have plenty options.

The best beach on Besar is probably the one in front of the Perhentian Island Resort, with a nice shallow area for swimming and snorkeling.

I haven't been to the islands since 2014 so I'm sure many things have changes concerning dive centers. But I've heard good things about Bubbles Dive Resort though I haven't dived with them. I'd look at the dive centers' websites and shoot a few emails and see what their response is.

Overall, June is a pretty good month to visit the islands (Perhentian, Tioman, Redang, Tenggol) along the east coast of Malaysia.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start looking into those. The kids are 12, 13 and 16.

Please provide some feedback @RMAdventure

I've dived Redang a lot in the past but never had the opportunity to dive at Perhentian

Based on some recommendations that my brother has received over there he is currently looking at Below the Surface Diver Center. Below The Surface It looks like it is right next to MIMPI Perhentian and offers package deals with them.

Hey @RMAdventure , I have dived a couple of times before in perhentian and all of them are with Bubbles dive resort. If you have kids their place has a turtle conservatory and they give talks on turtles for the kids every other night if I remember correctly. They will even wake you up in the middle of the night if its turtle hatching time so you can go see the little turtles crawl to the sea. The DMs there are very knowledgeable on the dive sites and are safety conscious. I have not compared prices but I personally felt they are slightly on the priceier side but the accommodation (open air bathroom!) and the facilities are well worth the price in my opinion.

I am in no way affiliated with them :) just a satisfied customer.

Hey @RMAdventure , I have dived a couple of times before in perhentian and all of them are with Bubbles dive resort. If you have kids their place has a turtle conservatory and they give talks on turtles for the kids every other night if I remember correctly. They will even wake you up in the middle of the night if its turtle hatching time so you can go see the little turtles crawl to the sea. The DMs there are very knowledgeable on the dive sites and are safety conscious. I have not compared prices but I personally felt they are slightly on the priceier side but the accommodation (open air bathroom!) and the facilities are well worth the price in my opinion.

I am in no way affiliated with them :) just a satisfied customer.
Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom