Suggestions for Diving/Snorkeling Florida Keys this July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoatingDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in the Keys this July. We are a group of divers and snorkelers.

Any suggestions for good dives (and operators), especially if we will be with snorkelers too? I have seen one possibility is Molasses Reef (looks like it's near Key Largo)? Some of the group are pretty new divers so nothing too crazy, but we love both wrecks and reefs.

Any thoughts welcome!

I'll leave the dive site recommendations to others as we were blown out when in Key Largo a year ago.

The Dry Tortugas day trip out of Key West was great for us. If you like history, interesting fortifications, and great snorkeling, I highly recommend it.
Since you are also from Philly, I'll reference Fort Delaware (Pea Patch Island) as being akin, but smaller.

I snorkeled along the wall and it was nice. But the South Coaling Dock area was really great with aquarium-level fish quality/density - second benefit is there was nobody else there. I didn't try the patch reefs or North Coaling area.

A lot of operators take either divers or snorkelers but not both, in my experience. Quescence has a six pack fleet. If you book the whole boat, 6 participants, they can take you to a spot that is good for both.

Went out with Looe Key Dive center to Looe Key reef. They take both divers and snorkelers at same time. Very nice reef, great snorkeling and shallow diving. Many sharks and even Goliath groupers!

Yea I would go to Pennekamp State park in Key largo.

For snorkeling I would want to go to Molassis Reef and Christ of the Abyss. There is tons of stuff to dive in the park though.

I believe Rainbow Reef takes both divers and snorklers to some shallow reefs and shallow wrecks. For newer divers they're great as they put a free guide in the water. They also have some deep wrecks that require AOW cert.

I believe Rainbow Reef takes both divers and snorklers to some shallow reefs and shallow wrecks. For newer divers they're great as they put a free guide in the water. They also have some deep wrecks that require AOW cert.

I'll confirm this, I've been on a few trips with them that combine divers and snorkelers on the same boat...

I'm going to be in the Keys this July. We are a group of divers and snorkelers.

Any suggestions for good dives (and operators), especially if we will be with snorkelers too? I have seen one possibility is Molasses Reef (looks like it's near Key Largo)? Some of the group are pretty new divers so nothing too crazy, but we love both wrecks and reefs.

Any thoughts welcome!
Adventure Watersport Charters takes both divers and snorkelers on single day trips out of Key West to the local reefs or the Marquesas Keys area. Also they do the multi day liveaboard trips with both out to the Dry Tortugas.

If you go to Key West, be warned now that parking is hard to come by and is metered. The Vandenberg is a beautiful wreck, bring a flashlight and shine it close to the wreck walls, fabulous colors. Need to book in advance as dive shops do not go there every day and is highly subject to water conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom