Suggestions for Diver Tool Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csiems

New
Reaction score
I am wanting to give my husband a diver tool kit for Christmas. I have seen kits range anywhere from a $30 save a dive kit, to professional diver tool kits around $200. I don’t mind spending $200 if it’s worth the investment, but of course why spend that much if you can get about the same thing for $30. ‍♀️ I also don’t want to buy a $30 kit, and wind up with flimsy tools that don’t work either. Suggestions? Any input greatly appreciated!

I am wanting to give my husband a diver tool kit for Christmas. I have seen kits range anywhere from a $30 save a dive kit, to professional diver tool kits around $200. I don’t mind spending $200 if it’s worth the investment, but of course why spend that much if you can get about the same thing for $30. ‍♀️ I also don’t want to buy a $30 kit, and wind up with flimsy tools that don’t work either. Suggestions? Any input greatly appreciated!
Hi @csiems, sounds like a great gift idea! I completely agree with your thought on buying something of better quality than a flimsy kit. Personally, I have a medium-large tool bag for mine that I've maxed out. If you are starting from the ground up, buy larger than what you think he needs so he can grow into it. The tools he will want and will be able to use will largely depend on his own repair abilities. If he is a certified technician (in which case I'm sure he already has a save-a-dive-kit he is hiding from you), then he will be able to use more specific tools. Otherwise there are some generic tools/spares that the average gear-savy diver would want. Below are kind of my top 20 items I pulled form my equipment class I teach. In case you or anyone is not familiar with some terminology, I linked to some website links/my preferences:

1) O-ring picks
2) Spare o-rings, especially for K/yolk valve face seal.
3) Multi-tools (dive gear express, XS scuba star tool, Pandora Lab - my favorite)
4) Zip ties
5) Needle nose and cutters like nail clippers.
6) Spare mouthpiece
7) Spare dive computer battery
8) De-fog solution
9) Alan/hex keys
10) Adjustable wrenches
11) Spare LP, LPI and HP hoses
12) O-ring lubricant
13) Motion sickness supplements
14) Spare mask/fins straps
15) Spare hardware for backplates (if applicable) and miscellaneous hardware like bolt snaps
16) HP spool
17) Power shaft assembly (inflator button) with removal tool
18) Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
19) Spare camera batteries/memory cards
20) Lighter

Of course, for any tools, stainless steel is your friend! Feel free to comment if you have any questions!

Maybe add an IP gauge to the list, they're inexpensive and give the diver an indication of when it's time to have his regs serviced.

A little fancier one that allows for adjustments - $65 - Second Stage In-Line Adjusting Tool w/IP Gauge

More basic but still functional $25 - Hog Pro Intermediate Pressure Checker

of course there's also a website - Scuba Tools - as it states, more for repair professionals than recreational divers.

If he is/plans to do regulator servicing, an ultrasonic cleaner and a specialized vise with padded jaws would be good gifts.

Tphelps and diversteve, thank you very much for the suggestions! My husband is not a certified technician, but is fairly handy with things in general. We will be starting from the ground up. I will go through the lists, and check out all the items you suggested, though I may have questions along the way.

To clarify. Are you wanting to get him a kit to carry along on dive trips or tools for home gear maintenance and repairs. Somewhat the same but not completely.

I might start with this from Dive Gear Express

Dive Rite Tech Roll Up Tool Bag

And start his collection with these. DGE has free shipping 50 dollars...

Compact Metric Hex-Tool

DGX Titanium EMT Shears

Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

Three Piece Brass O-Ring Pick Set

Viton Save-a-Dive O-Ring Kit, Five Pieces

Tribolube 71 O2 Compatible Lubricant

Then I would head to a Harbor Freight or similar and pick up two small adjustable wrenches to include.

This will give him a good start and he can add as needed. Part of the fun of a kit is adding to it.

Other possibilities...

DGX Adapter: Tire Inflator = BC Inflator QD Post

DGX Adapter: HQ Air Nozzle = BC Inflator QD Post

Uncfnp thank you for the suggestions! I would say my original thought is for a kit to travel with, as a “save a dive” type function. We finally bought our own gear last Christmas, as a family gift (our 13 year old son just completed his AOW certification last week!). I’m sure as the gear gets used more, we will need to learn how to maintenance at home. Many of the things you, as well as the others listed, will make excellent stocking stuffers as well!

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a kit that is going to go on a boat as a "save a dive kit." Even the more expensive tools will rust. My cheap tools that go on the boat last a while and when they do rust up, I don't feel bad about replacing that $2 wrench.

I’d suggest

- leatherman type multi tool
- EMT shears
- cable ties-
- compact hex tool
- adjustable wrench
- defog(not a tool, but...)
- duct tape(!)
- eye glass repair kit (if applicable)
Also DAN has a nice little travel first aid kit, to which you could add swimmers ear drops, sun block(reef safe) , meclazine or other sea sickness remedy

This set would go a long way to addressing most needs on a dive vacation. The dive shop will have o rings and picks, etc. extra batteries for everything are important, but not exactly tools.

For a travelling kit I take a bit of a different approach, and the approach changes depending on where I'm going.

A liveaboard trip is different from a local dayboat or Bonaire kit. I'll take a lot more stuff for a week-or-more LOB trip vs a "my risk is missing 2 dives" trip on Bon or on a dayboat.

I start with a couple of fundamentals:
1. What size are the nuts (and there may be several sizes) on my equipment? this usually results in 3 open-end wrenches.
2. What size hex wrenches do I need? Usually these are for the plugs on regs, but may be used on reg internals if I'm feeling frisky. Usually 2 hex keys.
3. Any brand-specific tools (looking at you Scubapro and that stoopid non-standard spline-nut) that may be required.

Abandon the adjustable wrenches and multi-tools - these things are the spawn of the devil useful for rounding nuts or scratching chrome. Some people love them, and different strokes for different folks. I Get the wrenches that <I> need in the form of "bicycle wrenches" - that is, thin wrenches that will fit the nuts where hoses connect to 2nd stages or to first stage. The come in bundles, and Amazon is your friend. This will result in a small/light bit of kit. Also, buy $tainle$$ if that is what you want. It is stain-less, not stain-free. I buy cheap wrenches, rinse them well, WD40/wipe clean occasionally and they last a long time. But that is just a matter of my preference.

If you find any screw heads on your equipment that you might need to remove get screwdrivers specific to those screws - think bands on wristmount gauges, the back of computers for battery changes and the like.

I include small scissors. Useful for cutting line/bungee/webbing.

The spare parts list above is a pretty good one, especially the pressure gauge spool and replacement inflator assembly.

The o-ring picks in the link are good because they are soft, bad because they are soft. I use dental picks - free from a dentist friend, bad because they are hard, good because...

I buy my O-rings by size and usage, not in a kit. Then I bundle them up in the numbers/sizes that I have found I need for travel. DGX is my source. They have a handy document of o-ring sizes and uses. They're probably not the cheapest source, but they are a fantastic resource I like dealing with them.

As you might have noticed, this is a kit FOR ME. It fits my gear, not everyone else's. I guess I'm a selfish bastid, but I'm trying to build a Save-MY-Dive kit, not a Save-Anybodys-Dive kit so I pack stuff that fits me. It's a small light bundle that works FOR ME (and incidentally has worked for others-in-need on the boat from time to time).

All above is my opinion based on my desire to avoid acting as a pack mule - and to have the stuff that meshes with my equipment.

To me, my kit is very personal. I wouldn't want my lovely bride to try and buy/outfit one for me. But a shopping spree at DGX, Scubatools, etc. - yea boy, I'd go for that! Buy him a bag to contain the goodies and put a gift certificate from your preferred vendor(s) in it for him.

@tphelps

I have gone down the list you shared with me, and have found most things to order. These are some things I had questions on....

2) Spare o-rings, especially for K/yolk valve face seal.
What size o-rings for the K?yolk valve face seal?

3) Multi-tools (dive gear express, XS scuba star tool, Pandora Lab - my favorite)
Get all 3, or choose 1 with Pandora Lab being your favorite?

5) Needle nose and cutters like nail clippers.
For the cutters, which is better - actual nail clippers, or a cutting plier?

6) Spare mouthpiece
Will a standard mouthpiece be compatible with most gear? Is a cheap one ok, assuming you will replace it with a better one later?
Standard Mouthpiece

10) Adjustable wrenches
Any specific sizes?

11) Spare LP, LPI and HP hoses
Compatible with most equipment?

15) Spare hardware for backplates (if applicable) and miscellaneous hardware like bolt snaps
Does it matter if the bolts, washers, and wingnuts just come from a hardware store?

17) Power shaft assembly (inflator button) with removal tool
Compatible with most equipment?

Thank you in advance!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom