Suggestions for Dive Op please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTWoods

Reaction score
My husband and I will be staying at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort (389 West Bay Road - staying on our reward points) for 12 days in April/May and we're both experienced divers who enjoy a small group to dive with. (no cattle runs)
We would appreciate your input on who we should dive with to get a good variety of wonderful dives. It's been over 15 years since I've been to Grand Cayman and my husband hasn't dove there before so any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU! :D
Candace

Should I think about location of the dive op in relation to my hotel? If so does that narrow your suggestion list for me?

Thanks!

All 5 of those dive ops operate on the West Side / SMB area, which is where your hotel is. Some (or all?) of them may pick you up at the hotel if you are not renting a car. Ask about that. All of them will dive the North Wall when weather permits and the SMB area the rest of the time. They are all well thought of.

Quabo has the smallest groups of all (I have never seen more than 4 divers on their boat) but their boat is a bit older than the others.

Since you are experienced divers, you may want to dive your own profile instead of following a DM. Ask about that too. I know Quabo is fine with it but I don't know the policies of the others.

Alex,
Thank you for your very helpful posts. I appreciate you recommending dive ops close to our hotel and we'll be contacting them to see if one or two would be a good fit for us.

Enjoy your weekend,
Candace

My wife and I just got back from GC...we dove 3 days with Neptune Divers. They are a great smaller size op...I will use them again if we make it back to GC. They dive were there are the best conditions for the weather that day. In 3 days last week we did 1 dive on the south side, 3 on the west, and 2 on the north.

Hi CTWoods,

Have a look at CAYMAN DIVING SCHOOL. Contrary to what the name suggests they take out just as many certified divers as those on training dives and split the two so they don't overlap. They run just off of 7 mile beach about 5 minutes drive from the beach Marriott and will also come and pick you up and drop you off before and after the dive. They operate 6 pack boats, cater to the individual and run trips off both the north and the west wall.

Have fun planning whats sure to be a great trip!

Red Sail Sports is the dive shop at the Marriott. I dove with them three years ago and found them to be professional with excellent rental equipment, dm's, and boats. They kept the size of the diving group small and didn't combine cruise divers with people staying on the island. Just another group to consider.

Dito here, I've used Red Sail all three times I've been there. I like the convenience of them being at the hotel and they're very professional. (I think they are at a couple of the hotels).
Joe

Red Sai's convenient if you're staying at the resort but they also charge $20-30% more than anyone else, well except Ocean Frontiers, and they are a CATTLE BOAT!

The best ones there are the smaller ones... Neptunes, Off the Wall, Wall to Wall.

There is a great new shore dive at the Cracked Conch, very close to the wall and easy in/out with a giant stairway. Babylon is another great shore dive if you don't mind a long swim, 100+ yards to the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom