Suggestions for Big & Tall wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First of all I'm glad to see such a thriving scuba community here. I did a Discover Scbua program a few month's ago while on my honeymoon and now I'm hooked!

I'm going on my PADI open water open water certification dives in about 2 weeks. They require the following:

Mask

Snorkel

Boots

Fins

Wetsuit

Reg/BCD/Tanks will be supplied by the PADI dive shop.

I've obtained everything except the wetsuit. I am 6'5 300lb guy and sizing for wetsuits seems to be so different than other items of clothing. My local dive shop does not have any suits that fit me. I get my suits/shirts custom made and below are my measurements.

JACKET

JACKET/SHIRT LENGTH 34″

CHEST SIZE 56.5″

STOMACH SIZE 53″

JACKET HIPS 57″

SHOULDER SIZE 22″

SLEEVE LENGTH 27.25″

BICEP SIZE 20″

WRIST SIZE 13″

VEST

JACKET/SHIRT LENGTH 29.25″

CHEST SIZE 55.5″

STOMACH SIZE 52.25″

JACKET HIPS 54.5″

SHOULDER SIZE 16.5″

BLAZER

JACKET/SHIRT LENGTH 34″

CHEST SIZE 56.5″

STOMACH SIZE 52.75″

JACKET HIPS 57″

SHOULDER SIZE 22″

SLEEVE LENGTH 27.5″

BICEP SIZE 20″

WRIST SIZE 13″

SHIRT

SHIRT NECK 18″

JACKET/SHIRT LENGTH 34.5″

CHEST SIZE 57″

STOMACH SIZE 55″

JACKET HIPS 55″

SHOULDER SIZE 23.25″

SLEEVE LENGTH 28″

BICEP SIZE 21.5″

WRIST SIZE 10.75″

PANTS

PANTS LENGTH 44″

WAIST 46″

CROTCH 30.75″

PANTS HIPS 54.25″

THIGH SIZE 33.75″

KNEE SIZE 22.25″

Any preferred brands specifically for B&T?

What thickness would you recommend? I plan to mainly be doing tropical diving but it wouldn't hurt if the wetsuit could be as multipurpose as possible just so I don't need multiple wetsuits.

What size would you recommend?

I am similar in size. 6'4" and weigh 275. I have a bare reactive 3mm in a 3x. The fit is great.In fact i think a 2x would work in the reactive. Plenty of leg length and arm length. Very stretchy. I also have an akona 5mm quatum stretch. The akona doesnt have near the length in arms and legs. Hope this helps.

I am 6'7" ~260 lbs. Your neck size is the same and I am a couple of inches smaller at the chest. Inseam is 36-38". I use a Henderson hyperstretch which this particular model is not made anymore but the newer Hendersons may have as much stretch. I will say they seem to get thin spots and at least in my mind crush quicker. My wife at 6' has gone through several. It fits well and I got it for crotch to neck mostly.
The very stretchy ones seem to break down quicker.

You might want to consider Waterproof out of Sweden. One local LDS here has started to carry them and they say they last longer for rentals and students than at least the Hendersons or similar wetsuits. Their size charts show 3XLT and 3XLT+ (larger). It does have relief zippers on at least the neck. I recall seeing them on the wrist. I mention this as my wife purchased a couple pair of their neoprone shorts years ago which have held up wonderfully with no compalints or repairs.

I tolerate cold well so usually I don't wear a full wetsuit much but I do wear a 3 mm neosport jacket regularly. My armpits and forearms can get cold. If you run out of options with a full wet suit you might want to try a jacket and pants (boating/kayaking). Another option maybe.

The several LDS' that I use will order items in so I can try them on (wetsuits, booties, etc). Don't lock yourself into one LDS.

O'Three if you can get one in time for this. Otherwise Pinnacle and Henderson have some king size wetsuits that you should fit into if you can't find one to rent. Personally, if the O'3 can't get here in time, I'd find something close enough to rent and then buy the O3

Back
Top Bottom