Suggestions for a week in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop by Naples and go out with Salty Dog Charters (Joel). Diving here is extremely underrated. Often I travel and am super disappointed. I bet you see more big fish here than anywhere else you have been. Usually about 10 x 300-600 lb Goliath on each dive.

Our spots rarely ever get dived like other places, it is still untouched. Saw 4 whale sharks in a week last year in the fall.

How's the visibility there usually?

Also, since many are talking visibility, where do I get best and worst visibility?

How's the visibility there usually?

It is not always great, but this is the time of year to do it for sure. Mid April through early June is usually pretty decent. I have had days where it is 100 ft. But usually at least 30-40 that time of year. The rest of the year it is hit or miss. But it is also hit or miss depending on location, you can dive one spot and it is 5 foot and move a couple miles and all the sudden back to 35-40. Someone like Joel will find you good vis to dive.

Also you can dive the towers when the vis isn't great, and this gives you a bearing so it is not as bad as it is rumored.

If you go out far enough the vis is always good. But that depends if you want to go 60 miles out, it costs more to do that.

But like I said here in a couple weeks we will start diving the shallower stuff while we can, while the vis is good. And you only have to go out 15-30 miles.

Hope this helps.

We tend to prefer the east coast as there is better visibility on that side and the gulf stream brings quite a bit of activity. There is an array of operators that will do the combination of snorkel and dive. I would definitely suggest you hit the keys.

If I had nine days and was leaving back from Orlando I would hop another flight to key west (from Orlando it shouldn't be too much) and rent a car then drive the full way back to Orlando stopping throughout at different locations that way you don't have to round trip the drive.

In key west you can find operators who will do the combination. I would not miss some of the wrecks down there and those are not for snorkelers but if she's up for a day in town without you, try and make the Vandenberg. great topside activities too.

I would probably hit duck key next on the way up and hit some sites off such which do snorkelers as well.

I would make Islamorada a stop at PostCard Inn going on a dive off there then

Islamorada and do John Pennekamp Park statue of Christ and just great fans to see.

On your way up you can do Miami but I don't do a lot diving in Miami.

Then Ft Lauderdale/Pompano has some nice sites along the 1st and 2nd reef she can join you on. There you can stay off las olas and enjoy a bit of the town as well.

On you way back through Palm Beach/Jupiter the water is closet to the gulf stream and has quite a bit of activity too. I would make Jupiter a stop

If you are into wrecks look up the Keys Wreck Treck. =) Safe travels hope you enjoy!

@Ghost95 suggestion of going to Venice sounds great, I think I need to go there, maybe in the fall this year.

How common is it to find actual megalodon teeth? Do at least 50% of the divers find one? Not talking about those little shark teeth that are more common.

Dan, I don't know what the percentage is but on our trip it was at 50% for the newbies. I found a couple smaller Megs and some large broken ones. The other new guy who went didn't get a Meg. The Capt. and DM both found some nice teeth. First timers have a lower success rate than the veterans.

You kind of have to train your eye to look for the teeth because they don't always jump right out at you. Teeth can be covered with growth or buried with only the tip or root sticking out and very tricky to see. Listen to the pre-dive brief carefully and try and apply what was said while you're underwater. The guys know how to find teeth. Don't just go rushing all over the place and you have a good chance.

You'll see lots of other life while diving and lots of other fossils like whale rib bones, horse teeth, and other stuff as well. I personally would like to find a whale rib with Megladon feeding damage. The pieces I've seen like that clearly show the serration of the Meg teeth scratched into the bone.

Good luck if you get that way. It's a neat little town and I think Sept. would be a great month down there. Plenty of good places to eat and stay. Crowds in Sept should be light too.

I love Venice, have not dove there but it is a great little town. Make sure you get some pastries at the little French place!

I have heard of a few wrecks off of Sarasota/Siesta Key.... Does anyone know of those? I know it is mostly sandy bottom there, but just another idea.

Back
Top Bottom