Suggestions for a SMB and reel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Looking for a SMB that is open bottom and has a inflator as well, 4'-5'. Or any other great suggestions?

Thanks!

I think getting one with the right features for you is more important than specific make/model. And I'd suggest getting a longer one - as long as you can find. I've been on a boat in windy choppy conditions when a diver drifting away was very hard to spot because of his short smb. Mine is either 6ft or 2m, can't remember.

I like mine for having a (baffled) open bottom, an inflator nipple, and a pressure relief valve. The baffled bottom lets air in but not out, so it stays inflated when it reaches the surface. I've never inflated from a hose, but I can imagine scenarios where that might be useful, or at least handy. The pressure relief valve is a must for deploying from depth unless the bottom has no baffle, but then it will deflate on the surface.

If you happen to get a push valve inflator hose one, a bit hard on the lips and teeth

s-l400.jpg

swap it for one of these

download.jpg

they're good

H2cd71ebdbfd94c0783080fe3fd3a4874N.jpg

very good

As others have already pointed out, a longer SMB (6') would be better for locating you (find-abilty).
Baffled bottom with OPV and oral inflator. I generally use either my octo or a 36" dedicated bcd inflator hose to fill the SMB at depth. It fills FAST when using the inflator option and one needs to be prepared for it, but it is a breeze to do. The baffled bottom allows for the SMB to remain inflated at the surface if laid flat (well, they will leak a little). The baffled bottom ones I use have magnets to keep closed (as well as the duck bill valve). I find if using these from the bottom it easier to use your fist to open then fill. Color is another subject. I have both a green and orange one.

As far as a reel, that depends on what depth you are sending it from. A spool is fine for sends at your safety stop.
If you like or need to send from depth, a reel shines here. Although, a spool can be used of course and I have done this many times. Kinda like snorkeling after learning how to dive, meh, I will stick to diving. I will keep using a reel. If you do shore or drift diving as well and need to tote a flag, having a reel fits both purposes.

What type of reel? Lots of options (and opinions) available in this category.
In OW, I prefer a ratchet/thumb reel. They are easy to deploy and manage with one hand (if you need to release line, it can be done easily with hand you are holding the reel with using your thumb). Most ratchet reels are hard to mess up being they wind only in one direction when the mechanism is used. There are other reels with different types locking or tension mechanisms and I sure someone will chime in with their preference.

No matter what reel you choose, you probably will still need a spool. Where I dive, if I am 'elected' as a dive flag tender, I use my ratchet reel, but keep the SMB and spool as a kit at my side JIC I loose the reel or whatever.

Depends on what you're using it for. Any decent SMB will work for you, just preference on what style you want. I agree with getting a 6 footer. As for the reel...if you are just buying a setup for safety purposes and will almost never use it except in an emergency or to hail a boat, a thumb spool is fine. If you want/need something for guiding or for drift diving etc., I'd get a reel with the capability to hand reel the SMB/line in and out like the one below. For regular diving, or when I'm in the water students, I simply use a thumb spool.

1660144498634.png

My go-to choice:

For recreational diving, this spool (medium/125 ft):

There is a good chance you'll have to get a few SMBs and reels depending on your needs.

I'd start with a medium to large size SMB, closed bottom, and metal inflator. For the reel, you don't need to fancy - spend $20 and then 15 mins of your time to modify it.

Here are some good primers:

Btw, I am not affiliated with ISE (the second video), but their channel contains solid advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom