Suggested Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubby

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all and thanks for the invaluable information that each and everyone have participated on. I will be starting my NAUI open water / Nitrox class in two weeks, and my question is this:

1. In conducting research on the types of mask to possibly purchase, I have noticed an assortment of configurations as for shape, size, color, lens durability, lens prisms, fogging and etc. I have 20/20 vision, and I looking to purchase for the long run.

2. I also have read in the posts that each person, for obvious reason, has their own personal preference on the types of masks to use. And with this understanding I guess what I’m asking is what are the more common and most reliable masks in use.

3. Some characteristics that I am looking for in a mask are decreased fogging potential (which is most likely corrected in the prepping of all masks before diving), enhanced peripheral vision, and comfort on the face (I do have somewhat of a big head). :)

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

IMO, the mask is the most important piece of equipment to try on before buying. No two faces are alike, and a mask that gives one person a great seal, might leak like a sieve on someone else, even if they have similarly sized heads. As far as general advice, I believe the low-volume masks are your best bets; they'll sit closer to your eyes, and improve your peripheral vision.
For comparison purposes, you can check out Rodale's equipment guide , but I would still recommend trying before buying.

Thanks for input. In all honesty, that didn't really occur too me... oh well, back to the drawing board... :)

If you're interested in peripheral vision, check out the Cressi Horizons mask. I have the similar Big Eyes mask, and the downward "angle of attack" of the lens is great for being able to see things like chest D-rings. If it comes down to the wire however, choose a mask that fits you best rather than one that gives you the most peripheral vision.

A hint someone else posted on this board a while ago, while mask shopping, bring a snorkel along to the shop and hold it in your mouth while trying on the mask. The snorkel mouthpiece distorts your upper lip, and a mask that seals great without the snorkel might be miserable with a snorkel, which means it will have a miserable seal with a regulator in your mouth.

The three most important aspects of a mask are;

1. Fit
2. Fit!
3. FIT!

You want the best fit possible even to the point of trying every mask in every shop you can get to.

Check fit both with and without a snorkel or regulator in your mouth. You want the mask to work for both but you can use different masks for snorkeling and diving if necessary for a good seal.

Low volume is good.
Silicone skirt is the way to go, much softer than rubber and will last longer.

I use (and love) a Cressi Big Eyes mask. It is both the best fitting and least leaking mask I have ever owned. I *always* get leaks when I smile underwater but the big eyes leaks the least of any mask I have used.

Oddly enough I tried every Big Eyes in my LDS before finding an older production run mask that fit better than the new ones.
Try EVERY mask you can get on your face untill you find the very best fit possible!

Commercial helmets and full face masks are a different game as they are generally sealed and you usually keep a slight positive pressure inside.

AH HA! I new there was reason I joined this board! Excellent input on the snorkel bit! Another little bit of information that will make my life a little more happier underwater.... now where did I put that snorkel at... :)

All of the above are good points.

I will directly go to the recommendation part and say: go with the Cressi big eyes. Great field of vision, good fit (on my face at least), quality build, good volume, etc.

I would say that the fogging issue is highly over-rated.

Ari :)

I got a Cressi Big Eyes as my first mask and love it. I can see everything I want too and the fit is perfect. I highly recommend them. Good luck with your search.

JD

If it fits, the TUSA Platina (not the Platina hyperdry) with the black silicone skirt works great for me. Low volume and the black skirt cuts down on distracting internal reflections.

Roak

I know everyone has his or her preference but I have the Tusa
Liberator Plus...Very soft nose and skirt that only seeps a little durring invertion diving or when the smilies hit.:D

Good luck on your search!:glasses:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom