Suex xjoy 2: Anyone building battery packs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The xjoy of Suex requires battery packs? TMI...

(Sorry, don't know of anyone doing this but could not resist.)

I know this is an older thread and you have since upgraded your scooter but I put a Ping 24V 10Ah LifePO4 battery in my Xjoy 2.

24V 10Ah V5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack

The battery unfortunately is not much larger than the original 24V 9Ah (216Wh) NiMH battery but since it has slightly higher nominal voltage and a little bit more capacity I do actually get a longer runtime. I haven't tested it to the full extent yet but I was on the rigger for a solid 50 minutes yesterday without any issues.

My original battery was toast (flooded) so this was a much cheaper option. Ping had mentioned he could special order cells to make a 24V 12Ah battery. We decided there was just no way a 24V 15Ah battery would fit but I might have measured wrong. There slightly more clearance if the battery is allowed to extend beyond the the railings so I am going to re-measure again and see if a 15Ah battery is an option. That would actually make for a pretty decent runtime in this tiny little scooter.

I know this is an older thread and you have since upgraded your scooter but I put a Ping 24V 10Ah LifePO4 battery in my Xjoy 2.

24V 10Ah V5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack

The battery unfortunately is not much larger than the original 24V 9Ah (216Wh) NiMH battery but since it has slightly higher nominal voltage and a little bit more capacity I do actually get a longer runtime. I haven't tested it to the full extent yet but I was on the rigger for a solid 50 minutes yesterday without any issues.

My original battery was toast (flooded) so this was a much cheaper option. Ping had mentioned he could special order cells to make a 24V 12Ah battery. We decided there was just no way a 24V 15Ah battery would fit but I might have measured wrong. There slightly more clearance if the battery is allowed to extend beyond the the railings so I am going to re-measure again and see if a 15Ah battery is an option. That would actually make for a pretty decent runtime in this tiny little scooter.

did you send them the old battery pack so that they could transfer the metal top and bottom plates to the new pack? Did they wire up the plug from the old pack?

Thanks

My old battery was toast so I took it apart and sandwiched my new battery between the plastic top and bottom plates of the old battery. You could probably just fabricate some supports with a thick piece of plastic or even wood to support a new battery if you didn't want to take your old battery apart.

I sourced the battery connector that Suex was using and ordered and wired it myself. The Ping battery has separate plugs for charging and using it so I didn't have to modify the existing charging port.

I've got about 6 dives on the scooter and it's been working well. I kind of want to try adding the 3-blade prop for more thrust but I'd have to find someone willing to sell it to me as I don't believe Suex will sell it to me. When I asked them they said the Xjoy2 motor wont support it but there were several people that posted about making this modification.

I was on the trigger about full 70 minutes and it didn't cut out. It might go a tad longer than that based on estimates. It is possible you might be able to fit a 15ah battery (I originally didn't measure beyond the support columns). The 10Ah battery (which I have) and 12Ah (special order) will definitely fit. If Suex's estimates are correct the original battery was rated 24v / 9ah (216Wh) for a 60 minute runtime so you could probably get ~70 minutes on the 10ah battery, ~85 minutes on the 12ah battery and ~100 minutes on a 15ah battery (if it would fit?).

Back
Top Bottom