sudan liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubajeg1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,
I have been on 2 different trips in the last 3 years to the Egyptian Red Sea and have completely enjoyed the diving and dive ops. I have been looking into liveaboards out of Port Sudan and was wondering if any of you might have experiences with this and would make any suggestions; dive ops, time of year, etc... We are from the U.S.A. , don't know if that has any berring on your thoughts?

Thank you..

Royal Evolution is the one I have experience from. Has some years and trips under its hull, but if it still has the same owner (mr Yasser E M), it should be as good as it gets — a very nice ship. Boarding and disembarking in Egypt saves you the leg into and out of Port Sudan. It’s a 14-day.
Been on a number of Port Sudan based ships as well, but it’s too long ago to be relevant now (most are gone). Don Questo still there I believe, but I have not been since Lorenzo was the skipper. Very sturdy boat. Don’t know who owns it now, but it was a group of Italian gentlemen back then (perhaps still?) — I had the pleasure of diving with one of them 15 years ago. An engineer from Pisa who designed the elevating dive platform.
Saw one of the Hungarian-part owned ships (Andromeda/Cassiopeia) on Brothers last month. I think they do Sudan too, but not sure if they can embark from Egypt (Port Ghaleb). An old dive buddy and photographer guided a few trips on one of them.
Best time for Sudan inme is spring, March-May. Easter has always given me mind blowing diving. Lots of sharks. Big schools of barracuda and jacks. Avoid fall.

Last edited:
I was on the Hungarian-part owned boat (Andromeda) 3 years ago out of Port Sudan in late Oct./ early Nov. The diving was just OK due to the water being too hot for any big stuff (like 30 -31 C hot). Port Sudan visa is expensive but no trouble as the boat handles the details. Your passport is taken by immigration at the airport then not returned again until departure. The owner was on-board with his photographer. The video that plays on their website (cassiopeiasafari.com) was mostly shot during my trip (except for the videos of big stuff).

Good luck and please do report back. I have dived the Red Sea regularly since 1997 and used to arrange private safaris in Egypt and Sudan. Little less Red Sea in the later years when I dived a little more in SE Asia and Africa.
The Sudan is still my favorite as the best over all diving I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom