Subsurface-mobile for Android - first beta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Subsurface developer team is thrilled to announce the first beta release of our mobile app for Android.

Subsurface-mobile connects to your Subsurface cloud storage account and allows you to access your dive list from your mobile device. You can scroll through your dives, look at dive details and dive profiles, edit dives, even add new dives on your phone or tablet. After an initial sync Subsurface-mobile works offline, so no worries about being on a dive boat and not able to connect to the network - the data will be synced at the next opportunity when you are back within signal range.

Subsurface-mobile also includes the GPS tracking functionality of the old Subsurface companion app which allows you to collect precise GPS fixes for your dive sites.

At this point Subsurface-mobile will be most useful when used together with the existing Subsurface desktop application. Most notably, downloading dives from your dive computer is so far not possible from Subsurface-mobile (but that is on our to-do list for at least some classes of dive computers).

In order to try Subsurface mobile on your Android device simply opt in at this link:

Sign in - Google Accounts

And don't forget to take a look at the user manual to help you get started.

Subsurface-mobile (beta) User Manual | Subsurface

I'm gonna try it

Subsurface-mobile also includes the GPS tracking functionality of the old Subsurface companion app which allows you to collect precise GPS fixes for your dive sites.

This reminds me, has anyone ever thought of creating a public database of GPS coordinates of dive sites? Wouldn't be too hard to add site search & coordinate upload to subsurface.

On my diving trips the cellphone lives in the hotel. Even if it worked outside of hotel's wifi range I doubt I'd drag it out on the boat just to get a precise fix for a site on, say, Klein Bonaire. So the above is useful functionality, but what would be even more useful the ability to share the coordinates with other users.

This reminds me, has anyone ever thought of creating a public database of GPS coordinates of dive sites? Wouldn't be too hard to add site search & coordinate upload to subsurface.

On my diving trips the cellphone lives in the hotel. Even if it worked outside of hotel's wifi range I doubt I'd drag it out on the boat just to get a precise fix for a site on, say, Klein Bonaire. So the above is useful functionality, but what would be even more useful the ability to share the coordinates with other users.
Interesting - so I always have my phone in my dry bag on board the dive boat - running Subsurface companion app (and now Subsurface-mobile). That makes things easy and I have precise locations. Subsurface simply matches the recorded positions with the dive time stamps.
The quality of all of the available dive site databases is a very very mixed bag. I frequently compare my locations with what I can find online and it's about a 50/50 ratio of "yeah, fairly close" and "heck no, that's not where that site is".
That said, yes we're planing to add support for such online lookup in a future release.

The Subsurface developer team is thrilled to announce the first beta release of our mobile app for Android.

Subsurface-mobile connects to your Subsurface cloud storage account and allows you to access your dive list from your mobile device. You can scroll through your dives, look at dive details and dive profiles, edit dives, even add new dives on your phone or tablet. After an initial sync Subsurface-mobile works offline, so no worries about being on a dive boat and not able to connect to the network - the data will be synced at the next opportunity when you are back within signal range.

At this point Subsurface-mobile will be most useful when used together with the existing Subsurface desktop application. Most notably, downloading dives from your dive computer is so far not possible from Subsurface-mobile (but that is on our to-do list for at least some classes of dive computers).

In order to try Subsurface mobile on your Android device simply opt in at this link:

Sign in - Google Accounts

And don't forget to take a look at the user manual to help you get started.

Subsurface-mobile (beta) User Manual | Subsurface
Second beta is out. Many improvements in the UI, most outstanding bugs fixed. I think this is reasonably close to being ready for release. Once again, you need to opt in at the link above in order to be able to install it from the Google Play Store.

Interesting - so I always have my phone in my dry bag on board the dive boat - running Subsurface companion app (and now Subsurface-mobile). That makes things easy and I have precise locations. Subsurface simply matches the recorded positions with the dive time stamps.

Well I'll have to replace my motorola ming at some point... then I'll think about a dry tank-impact-resistant hard case with extra battery that doesn't take any extra space under the bench. :wink:

The quality of all of the available dive site databases is a very very mixed bag. I frequently compare my locations with what I can find online and it's about a 50/50 ratio of "yeah, fairly close" and "heck no, that's not where that site is".

Yes, when I mark the site I match the spot to google map, then copy-paste the coordinates into subsurface. And that's when I do it the same evening when I still remember which site we did when. And hotel's wifi is working. So if all my locations are "fairly close" I'd consider it a job very well done.

Back
Top Bottom