Subsalve Lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
In looking for a general dive marker/float I came upon the Subsalve open circut bags. What intriqued me was their versatility. They can function as a lift bag, dive marker/surface float, a upline float from a reel, and a dry bag.
This seems like an effective tool. I am looking at the #50 model. What are your ideas? As a float would I tow it along on a reel or a spool? All info is appreciated.

http://www.subsalve.com/subrec.htm#quad

Erich,

First of all, welcome to this board. There are many friendly opinitated folks here, me included. Lots of good info available.

Now to your question. IMHO, Subsalve makes a good quality product. The 50# is probably the right size to start out with. The only con is the color of the bag. The preferred color for is either yellow or orange. If you can visualize a white bag intermingled with white caps, you get the point.

Just my $,04.

DSAO

I bought a brand that went out of business. The oral inflation valve pulled out the first time I used it. The LDS exchanged it for a SubSalve #50, then he called the other 5 people that had bought them and had them brought in for inspections. Evidently a bad lot, all of them. The LDS replaced them all with Subsalves after he inspected and tested the new ones.

Out at the local quarry I've lifted a lot of cinder blocks. There is a real art to using a lift bag so practice before you need it.

Been using Subsalve bags for a long time now. I've found them to be extremely heavy duty, easy to roll up and easy to deploy. I've got 4 - 50#, 2 - 100#, and a 200# bag. I've only had one problem and the company couldn't get me a bag fast enough to replace it. If you are using them as an ascent platform they are hard to see in whitecaps if you don't blow em up enough. If they are properly inflated, the red diver's flag sticks out and isn't a problem. We see lots of people carrying safety sausages, but they are next to impossible to see when they are bout 400 ft away from the boat or more. Even with good eyesight they are difficult at best.

Went to my LDS this weekend and he has started selling Halcyon. They have a 6 foot inflateable marker bouy (aka: sausage) that can lift 52 lbs. Take a look. A multipurpose item. Alas, too late for Santa.

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

Conch, in your experience can the 50# bag be usable as a towed along dive float as Subsalve says? With its open circut design would it stay afloat as a float due to little downward pull, as opposed to lifting weight or as a deco hang? Would a reel or a spool be used for a dive float situation? And would you clip it to yourself?

CGoheen, I have thought about a large sausage to double as a lift device, but I also wanted to incorporate the dive flag float angle that the Subsalve could. To put it more plainly I am looking for a very versitile product so I don't have to a ton of equipment straped to me.

I know this post has a ton of questions. I appreciate all the help!

erich,

As long as you have enough air in the bag there is no problem using it as a drift dive flag. I use one for that exact purpose regularly here in the Keys. It doesn't need much downward pressure to hold it full of air.

I use a DiveRite safety reel with 140 ft of line. I clip it onto a d-ring on my tank, when its not in use. The bag is rolled up in a tight tube and held either by silicone tubing straps on the tank or held by 2 loops at the bottom of my back plate, that way they aren't getting in my way or dangling.

If the reel and the bag are in use, I don't clip it onto myself at all. I"ve seen too many people get tangled up in lines to have any desire to have it happen to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom