Subnautica - Anyone else playing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, I realize this is "TV & Movies" but this seemed like the best place to post this.

Anyway, I've been playing Subnautica for the last couple of weeks. It's a LOT of fun and there really aren't that many underwater games. Specific points:

- Whoever designed this clearly knows something about diving. The way the fish and creatures move is very good.

- The game is just beautiful. The kelp forests are mesmerizing.

- It's a game of discovery. The initial instructions are limited. The goal is to get you out and exploring. You find the things you need and learn how to survive as you go. It's not easy, but really rewarding.

Anyway, I'm having a blast with this one.

-Charles

I have it for my Oculus Rift (VR) but haven't loaded it up yet.

Plan on exploring it over the holidays.

YES! This is the closest I've come to a diving experience in a virtual reality and I recommend it to all gaming scuba divers. There is a sequel in the making now, taking place on the same planet, but in more of an icy area. Really looking forward to it :D

It certainly isn't a easy game. It takes a LOT of time to explore and find everything you need.

I've been playing it for a few years. I got into in when it was just launched in Early Access. It was pretty cool to see how far it came from the first alpha to launch. Not a whole lot of replayability once you've beaten the main story, but it's fun to put it into creative mode and just swim around.

Subnautica: Below Zero is in Early Access right now. It's the arctic expansion and it's pretty cool. Lots of cool new flora and fauna.

Abzu is another really pretty diving game, but it's more of an experience type of thing.

If you wanna play sharks vs divers, there's Depth.

I played Subnautica on Early Access too last year. I may need to play it again now that it is officially released. I really liked it, it has a great sense of exploration.

Subnautica and Subnautica Below Zero are probably the best underwater games I've ever played! Still looking for a DCS mod though - it'd be a lot harder if you had to decompress.

I recently played through In Other Waters, which satisfies the studying underwater life itch a little. The developer made if after living in Greece and swimming in the Gulf of Toroneos, supposedly to give people the same sense of discovery he felt.

Koral is another "experience" one that was designed and programmed by a group of people on a boat diving in the Spanish Mediterranean. It's a little short though, which I get - If I was diving beautiful Mediterranean coral reefs, I wouldn't spend to much time programming.

Back
Top Bottom