Submerged by Daniel Lenihan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased this from Amazon for my Kindle, not expecting much. It's about a group of underwater archeologists for the National Park Service. Honestly, it sat on my kindle for months because I thought it would be terribly boring.
I was wrong! This book starts at the infancy of cave diving. The author is one of the early cave divers in Florida and relates a very interesting trip to the Huatla region of Mexico with his good friend Scheck. He also does some body recoveries with Scheck, among a few other names cavers might recognize.
They go on to the South Pacific, Great Lakes wreck diving ( back when drysuits were new and scarey).
This is a fascinating book with lots of history about diving in the 70s-80s, lots of near-death stories and plenty to keep almost any type of diver entertained.
Not the dry archeology book that I was expecting, not at all. The writer is an excellent and entertaining writer. The book flows and is easy to read. Highly recommend!

I agree! I really enjoyed this book, and there is a lot of history in it.

I was really expecting a dry book steeped in boring history/archeology and maybe even poorly written at best. I've picked up and put down a few of these. But this book was a very pleasant surprise and I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep a few nights.
Another book with great history and some hairy episodes is the book Descent Into Darkness. Its about Naval Divers at Pearl Harbor.

I read it last year after a recommendation here on SB, and also enjoyed it

A couple of nitpicks: in the first few chapters, the stories aren't actually about diving, so it took me a while to warm up to it, but glad I persisted. Also, he does get a little preachy about conservation from time to time, but that's to be expected given his role

Definitely worth a read

I too have written about this book here. Enjoyed it the 1st time & have actually re-read large sections of it several times. This guy was a friend of Shech Exley and talks about decades of diving in places all over the globe. Also enjoyable because each chapter is a small, completely separate story. This makes it possible to jump in months later and read a little bit without losing the jist of the story. Liked it very much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom