Subic - USS New York closures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings,

I want to go back to Subic Bay with some friends but don't want to go if we can't dive the USS New York.

I know that occasionally the authorities close it to divers (if, for example, there's an especially important US Navy ship in Subic Bay? And/or some other reasons??).

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to know in advance whether the USS New York will be diveable? I'm looking at scheduling something for September and would like to know soon whether the USS NEw York will be off-limits.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
It was closed recently (last weekend) because of a visiting US Navy submarine. That's not normal - I was told it was due to 'new management' in SBMA being over-zealous, rather than a formal policy (i.e. making stuff up without thinking about it first, then not retracting the decision when its repercussions become known). The exclusion zone around docked navy vessels is 200m - well short of the USS New York's location. I expect the issue will be resolved in due course - it's the Philippines' and bureaucratic nonsense abounds....

As it stands, the exclusion is only in effect when "US Subs" are in dock. There's a high chance the bureaucracy will be resolved long before September (it normally is, within a few weeks).

Thanks for the info, DevonDiver.

Back
Top Bottom