Subic Bay wrecks closed this week??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Buddies and I were planning on diving the wrecks at Subic later this week and early next week. Heard the Coast Guard divers are training in Subic Bay, so the wrecks are off limits to other divers. Can anyone provide any information? We will grudgingly go there if the New York is off limits, but other wrecks are diveable. Won't go if can't dive the wrecks at all. Thanks for whatever useful info you can share.

Buddies and I were planning on diving the wrecks at Subic later this week and early next week. Heard the Coast Guard divers are training in Subic Bay, so the wrecks are off limits to other divers. Can anyone provide any information? We will grudgingly go there if the New York is off limits, but other wrecks are diveable. Won't go if can't dive the wrecks at all. Thanks for whatever useful info you can share.

Hi there,

You are partially correct.

The Philippine Coast Guard are undergoing training in Subic for 2 weeks.

We are experiencing some closures but not on all sites.

We are told from the SBMA Seaport that it will be 1 wreck closed per day.

The 3 affected are El Capitan, LST and New York.

We are advised that each the closure will be 1 Wreck per day revolving between the 3 wrecks

Eg, El Capitan today, LST tomorrow and NY the next day.

The conditions are exceptional at the moment with the cooler water bringing good visibility and with the continual improvement in fish abbundance due in large part in a stop on dynamite fishing approx. 2 years ago and the maritime police doing a good job reducing illegal fishing the diving in Subic is getting better and better!

If you are in the area drop by the Arizona Dive Shop and day hello!

Regards Team Arizona

Attachments

• 5A6A5435-0B73-4220-A3CD-C9C8E2227D50.jpeg
    5A6A5435-0B73-4220-A3CD-C9C8E2227D50.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 56
Thanks very much for the reply!

Just to be sure I'm not misunderstanding you, do you mean that there's only 1 wreck closed each day to sport divers, or only one wreck open each day to sport divers?

If it's only one wreck closed each day, then I can still spend hours deep inside the New York, as well as revisit the LST, etc.

Thanks again for your help!

Follow-up question: are the local authorities actually doing what they said, or did they promise open access but in practice they're denying it? I've heard the latter is what's been going on.

Thanks again to all who can provide real-time info. I'm most grateful.

Follow-up question: are the local authorities actually doing what they said, or did they promise open access but in practice they're denying it? I've heard the latter is what's been going on.

Thanks again to all who can provide real-time info. I'm most grateful.

Good Morning,

I checked with my staff this morning and have been informed that today the El Capitan was open and the other 2 were closed.

This wasn’t the case on the other days we requested access to the wrecks.

We have not requested access each day to those wrecks due to the numberous other wrecks and with the good visability many divers have requested access to wrecks that we don’t always Dive such as Japanese Patrol Boat and LCU.

Hope this helps.

Regards Kent

Thanks Kent.

Not able to dive New York is annoying but there are other relative deep wrecks eg; Taby, Sky Raider, 2 x M3 half track, Orion's tail and wing, an up turned LCM. None of them is shallower than 36m with couple of them around 42m.

Luckily the USS New York was open today, and hopefully will be again tomorrow ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom