Subic Bay - Photo report of diving in August 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
One day and an Evening in Subic Bay - Philippines Underwater Photos

Several days spent teaching an 'Intro to Doubles' course in Subic Bay. Then some fun diving..and my opportunity to get the camera wet (Sony Cybershot T-20).

The wreck sites were closed by the Harbour Authority, so it was a great chance to explore some of the less frequented reefs in the bay. These photos were taken at Lighthouse Reef, over the space of 2 day dives and a night dive. Just a small fraction of the critters we spotted....

Subic Bay, Lighthouse Reef - Fire Urchin (Asthenosoma varium) at 27m
This large Fire Urchin was in the silt/sand at the bottom of the coral reef wall. The size of a mini-football, the colours were spectacular. Gold, purple and blue - I've never seen one like it before!

Officially named Asthenosoma varium, it is known for venomous spines (causing significant and prolonged pain), it is often home to commensural shrimps and crabs.

Double End Pipefish (Trachyrhamphus bicoarctatus)
We saw a lot of pipefish during the dives. It wasn't until examining the photos that I realized I had captured two different species. Trachyrhamphus bicoarctatus (above) and the more colourful Corythoichthys haematopterus (below).

Dragon Face Pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus)
(above) The beautifully coloured 'Dragon Face' Pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus). Also known as the 'Messmate' Pipefish.

Bobtail Squid (Euprymna berryi)
This critter is hard to spot! We found two Bobtail Squid (Euprymna berryi) during a single night dive. One was about 1cm..the other was smaller!

Bobtail Squid are actually a large family of squid, from the order Sepiolida. There are about 80 sub-species, which can be recognized by their small round body and lack of cuttle-bone (they are actually closer related to cuttlefish than squid).

In addition to their timidity (they hide under sand all day, only venturing out at night), Bobtail Squid are famous for their splendid colours! This is due to their relationship with a symbiotic luminescent bacteria, that lives within a ventral pouch on the squid.

Decorator Crab (Cyclocoeloma tuberculata)
There was a bunch of Decorator Crabs on the night dive; 6 or 7 in all. These are very photogenic and easy to spot in the dark, as they climb up onto the higher spots of the coral. There was also an Orangutan Crab.. but 274 photos into the diving day had drained my battery - typical!

MORE PICS (Nudibranch, Puffers and more...)

Nice one Andy, hope I manage to get over to PI later in November

They were closed for a couple of weeks, pending a 'decision' by the Harbour Authority after a recent scuba incident. No reason for that, other than the authorities didn't know what to do..

It's all open again now.

Wonderful photographs. The PI are on my bucket list for diving!

Wonderful photographs. The PI are on my bucket list for diving!
For GUE diver Tech Asia in Puerto Galera is th place.
You should investigate a liveaboard trip to Coron(WWII wrecks) and Paglugaban Cave in El Nido.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom