Subgravity Paragon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Subgravity Paragon harness or a similar adjustable harness using this type of hardware?

pictureprovider.aspx?z=600&path=3005%5c3005.jpg

Paragon-Complete-600x600.jpg

I am looking to know if one is able to loosen the straps while wearing a single tank rig. And would you recommend this type of "buckle" if one wanted to make their harness adjustable.

Thanks,
-Z

I have used similar systems, and yes you can adjust the straps while wearing it, they adjust just like backpack straps; pull down on the tabs to tighten and lift up on the buckles to loosen. If your question is do they work yes, do you need it? well I think that is a personal preference thing. All JJ's come with a similar adjustable harness (similar to the Tecline one) and that is one of the first things I take off. Personally I just like a simple harness and don't see the need for that. However I have a friend that has major shoulder problems and being able to adjust one of the shoulder straps so it is very open makes his life a million times easier for him to get his arm in. He is using the Cinch system but also has the Tecline adjustable harness on another on of his backplates and likes them both.

I have used them and my first impression was I really liked the design. But after using them a few dive I determined they were not for me.

I “buckle” my waist strap/belt while gearing up. Then in the water I make my final adjustments. I found the simple buckle easier to tighten in the water than the style you are showing from Subgravity.

To be fair, I “personally” take up about 2-4 inches once I am on the water. If my land adjustment was the same as my water adjustment I would most likely choose the Subgravity style.

The Golem Gear adjustable G1 harness uses the same buckle, but only on one side and placed lower on the strap. They work fine, but I don't see any need for two. (My old rescue harness in which I used to dangle under helicopters uses the same buckles.) On the harness shown I would position the waist buckle farther to the right, on the other side of the crotch strap.

p-765-golem-gear-g1-adjustable-diving-harness.aspx, a little over 1/3 of the price of the Paragon harness.

Exactly what I was aiming to do...The Subgravity paragon harness was just to provide an example.

This project is primarily for my wife but I would consider it for my rig to make it more convenient to switch between my drysuit and wetsuit.

I was thinking that I could just cut my shoulder straps, melt the ends to keep from fraying and use a tri-glide to secure the upper piece. We have left the waist straps long on all our plates so we should have enough waist strap for the lower part of the buckle (front part). I would hand-sew some D-rings into the ends of the webbing.

I just wanted to know how well that buckle design works before investing the money and time into this, especially since if I cut a harness and it doesn't work out I will have to replace the webbing, not expensive but it will be an additional expense to a what would be a failed project, if that were to happen.

Thanks for the Piranha link...I had looked their website when hunting for this style buckle and missed that product listing.

-Z

I just wanted to know how well that buckle design works before investing the money and time into this

That bucklle design has been in existence for a very long time. My safety/fall harnesses have used them for as long as I can remember.

I believe they have been in the automotive (race) industry too for a long time.

That bucklle design has been in existence for a very long time. My safety/fall harnesses have used them for as long as I can remember.

I believe they have been in the automotive (race) industry too for a long time.

Hmm...I have been looking for sources of just the buckles and all I could find is Dare to Dive...and now Piranha. If you have other sources I can consider or if there is a name for this specific type of buckle I can use to search, please let me know.

-Z

For anyone as confused as I was about this, look at this photo from the Golem Gear site.

G24214.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom