Subgear pricing in the US.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mishtar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is up with the Subgear xp10 pricing??? It is $339 in the US or €175 which is about $190 these days in Europe. So $149 cheaper over in Europe. I cannot see any reason to not have a friend buy it there and ship it here.

Any ideas why it would be so much cheaper over there?

This computer is just a re-incarnation of the old Aladin computer - easily one of the most confusing computers ever built. I hope that this one does not use the "short press" - "long press" button sequences that we all had to suffer through for so many years. If it does, I would stay well clear of that design no matter how much cheaper it is in Euros.

I wouldn't know why there is such a difference in price. I will say that if you are going to buy it and have it shipped to you from Europe then you should also be prepared to send it back to Europe for any warranty or servicing you may need.

I wouldn't know why there is such a difference in price. I will say that if you are going to buy it and have it shipped to you from Europe then you should also be prepared to send it back to Europe for any warranty or servicing you may need.

Why would that be necessary or does their website seek to deceive???

SUBGEAR focuses on quality dive equipment at reasonable prices. SUBGEAR was originally a German brand (SEEMANN SUB), enjoying great success since 1979. It was acquired by Johnson Outdoors in 2007 and launched in most of Europe in 2008. In 2010, SUBGEAR dive gear has been launched worldwide, including North America, Australia, Asia and the Middle East. Worldwide coverage translates to clear benefits for customers: warranty, maintenance and repairs are offered all over the globe from an established and trained worldwide network of professional dealers.

I didn't say there was anything decieving going on. The theme of sending equipment back to Europe for warranty work has been echoed around this place for as along as I have been on it. I am pretty sure that a subgear computer would be no different than any other piece of gear. I have read alot of complaints about exactly that problem. I said to be prepared to send it back to Europe for service if needed. Do you have proof it is any different in this instance?

I have no problem with people saving money, they just need to be prepared to deal with the differences.

So non of this gives me an answer to why they are charging around 90% more for the same computer in the US vs Europe......seems pretty ridiculous.

Minimum pricing laws are stricter in Europe, so retailers can advertise real selling prices. Try calling around to some of the big dive shops that are regularly mentioned on the forum, you might find that the selling price is closer to the advertised Euro price than the advertised US price.

What is up with the Subgear xp10 pricing??? It is $339 in the US or €175 which is about $190 these days in Europe. So $149 cheaper over in Europe. I cannot see any reason to not have a friend buy it there and ship it here.

Any ideas why it would be so much cheaper over there?

USA scuba divers have long paid 50% or more than they had to purchase gear from an "authorized" retailer. Many seem to readily buy into things like "buy on the internet, die on the internet", and "don't buy grey market gear". Folks who questioned USA scuba gear pricing are what made LeisurePro the larges scuba retailer in the country. The rest, a substantial majority, have kept inefficient LDSs in business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom