Trip Report Sub Tower (Catalina -- 205 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The "sub tower" is a classic deep Catalina dive with an interesting "back story."

Some people don't really like it but I really enjoyed it. It is a great scooter dive and allows you to deco up the wall if you want. We had 53F at depth 57F on the last deco stop. Runtime was 72 minutes. Visibility was 40-ish feet with a slight current.

Complete story and photos are here:

Sub Tower (Catalina — 205 fsw)

Here are a photo of the flange where the submersible would dock:

tower1.jpg

Very cool. Any chance you can post your profile? I'm kind of intested in a scooter, would like to see what that looks like on a 205' dive.

Thanks for the post.

Profile attached.

That spike down during the 30' deco stop was when my GoPro fell off the housing hot-shoe adapter! I was very lucky that the depth at that point was only about 55'.

It is a bit of a "wonky" deco profile due to us scootering along the ridge on the way back to find the anchor line and the strobes we had left. I also usually do my last stop at 20' even though I have the computer set to a 10' stop depth.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 3.27.16 PM.png

- brett

Thank you. Awesome pictures, neat little blog about it. Different for sure. Thanks again for posting.

Profile attached.

That spike down during the 30' deco stop was when my GoPro fell off the housing hot-shoe adapter! I was very lucky that the depth at that point was only about 55'.

It is a bit of a "wonky" deco profile due to us scootering along the ridge on the way back to find the anchor line and the strobes we had left. I also usually do my last stop at 20' even though I have the computer set to a 10' stop depth.

View attachment 643523
- brett

At one time I found a GoPro on C-130 wing in Mammoth Lake. It turned out that was my own GoPro fell off from my Sea&Sea DX6G hot shoe. Since then I tether my GoPro onto the camera housing bracket.

3B757F07-247B-44EC-9E8C-B25E463FDA38.jpeg

Thank you. Awesome pictures, neat little blog about it. Different for sure. Thanks again for posting.

Hi Rob,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Stay tuned...there are more in the queue. :)

- brett

At one time I found a GoPro on C-130 wing in Mammoth Lake. It turned out that was my own GoPro fell off from my Sea&Sea DX6G hot shoe. Since then I tether my GoPro onto the camera housing bracket.

View attachment 643577

Thanks, good idea. I gave up on the hot shoe adapter and used a M10 adapter that screws into the housing. However, it is still a good idea to tether the GoPro to the housing.

- brett

I don't like those hot shoe mounts at all. I know some people swear by them, but I've had a light fall off twice. Thankfully recovered both times. Now I attach the light to a ball socket, feels much better.

Is that thing heavy? I'm still in the process of setting up my rig. After a while it feels heavy.... like I just want to leave it somewhere and come back and get it. I'm not sure I'm a photographer. I keep trying, but it takes away from the dive also. Like I'm not in the dive, I'm viewing it through the lens if that makes sense. I want to show people what I saw, but I don't want to put a lot of energy into it either....

Hi Rob,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Stay tuned...there are more in the queue. :)

- brett

I love going down and seeing stuff that's been "forgotten" about. Wrecks in the ocean, pump house / old machinery in a quarry, so this is right there. One of the coolest things I ever saw in a quarry was an old "rock crusher" in NC. It was massive and amazing. Doesn't compare to your excursion, but the same idea. Almost like it's frozen in time.

Is that thing heavy? I'm still in the process of setting up my rig. After a while it feels heavy.... like I just want to leave it somewhere and come back and get it. I'm not sure I'm a photographer. I keep trying, but it takes away from the dive also. Like I'm not in the dive, I'm viewing it through the lens if that makes sense. I want to show people what I saw, but I don't want to put a lot of energy into it either....

It’s not heavy. It’s a small point & shoot camera. The wide angle wet lense is a bit heavy but I usually clip it to my BCD and only use it when need it. There’s enough air pocket inside the camera case to lessen the rig weight underwater.

It’s not heavy. It’s a small point & shoot camera. The wide angle wet lense is a bit heavy but I usually clip it to my BCD and only use it when need it. There’s enough air pocket inside the camera case to lessen the rig weight underwater.

Mine is an aluminum tray, kinda heavy underwater. I guess I need to add a buoyancy arm or something.

Back
Top Bottom