Sub gear!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjsess13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sub Gear is a regulator company that is the exact same regulator as scuba pro. It is the exact same regulator actually. I was wondering if anyone has tried/used one and what they thought. i just bought an Aruba. Thanks for the feedback

I know a guy that I've dived with a few times who has one. I'll ask him about it for you. Then I'll tell you what he says.

An exact same regulator?

An exact copy...or an unbranded version made in the same factory?

BIG difference....

They are made for Scubapro (distributed by Scubapro) and are the same regulators as Scubapro but they don't offer the same warranty.

AFAIK, Sub Gear is the new name of "Seeman Sub", given by the new owner - Scuba Pro. Before becoming part of the Scuba Pro family, their regulators were plain ODS models rebranded. Now the look to me like Scuba Pro made models.

How would you compare the Scubapro Mark 25 regulator with the Subgear Cayman regulator (Scubapro now owns Subgear)?

How would you compare the Scubapro Mark 25 regulator with the Subgear Cayman regulator (Scubapro now owns Subgear)?

I may be wrong... but I think the Cayman is the MK11. And Yes... Scubapro owns Subgear.

Actually... Johnson Outdoors owns Subgear. Johnson Outdoors owns Scubapro.

The Cayman is a Mk17 with a 555 second stage. First stage is a sealed diaphragm whereas the Mk 25 is a piston design. Either first stage is a great choice. The Mk17, being sealed, is generally thought to be a better performer in cold water, although there are those that will dispute this. The hose routing on the Mk25 can be a little nicer for double tank configurations.

Scubapro is using the Sub Gear brand as a means of creating a lower cost alternative for Scubapro dealers who might otherwise sell someone else's regs to serve the lower price point focused customer.

The regs and computers are for all intents and purposes exactly the same as the Scubapro counterparts made by the same people on the same equipment and subject to the same quality assurance standards. The only differences are in the cosmetic treatments given to the regs and the lack of the "free parts for life" warranty on Sub Gear regs that still comes with Scubapro regs.

Back
Top Bottom