Sub found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another one to deep to dive it's at 820 meters = 2690 feet.

Thank you, very little U.S. Navy. :D

Yeah, plus does anyone really want to go down and find dead rats infected with Bubonic Plague, cholera, etc? Leave it be.

It's a Japanese aircarft carrier submarine.
"1943:
Sasebo Navy Yard. The Sen-Toku class I-401 is laid down as the largest submarine class in the world.* The class will carry three two-seat Aichi M6A1 "Seiran" (Mountain Haze) float torpedo-bombers capable of carrying either 1,764 lbs. of bombs or a 45 cm. (17.7-inch) torpedo 654 miles.**

During her construction it is planned to use the Sen-Tokus to launch a surprise air strike against the Panama Canal. The plan calls for departure from Singapore via the Indian Ocean and the South Atlantic to attack the Gatun Locks from the east. Ten Seirans are to strike the Locks with six torpedoes and four bombs. Destroying these locks would empty Gatun Lake and block the passage of shipping for months."

http://www.combinedfleet.com/I-401.htm

scubatwinned:
I saw the show where Ballard had a surviver from the Japanese mini subs on board as they looked for the sub outside of Pearl. But I didn't know they had found it. Did the go back or was it someone else?

We knew where it was, as we intentionally sank it in deep water to avoid sharing it with the Ruskies post WW2. Perhaps the location was recently declassified.

Dang, the thing's longer than a football field!

Cussler's latest book, Black Wind talks about the 401 and one of her sister ships...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom