Stylus 300 & PT016 what strobe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyA24

Reaction score
ok looks like I am getting the Olympus Stylus 300 and Pt016 housing. Will I need a strobe? and what kind should I get without breaking the bank!? This is all new to me and would appreciate the help.
Thanks

Jimmy

If that model lives up to the reputation of the C-series of cameras, you won't HAVE to have a strobe right off the bat to get started. The internal flash will be enough to take some very good pictures if you stay within distance. You can always save your money and add a strobe later.

Of course a strobe is the best way to go. I can personally only recommend the Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe. The only other strobe under consideration was Ikelites but you can see which I chose. My strobe and fiber optic cable was right at $500. Well worth saving the money for...I've never regretted it.

The Stylus 300 is a fully automatic camera. I've always been curious of people's experiences using an external strobe with a fully auto camera - whether it's a manual strobe or in TTL.

I know that in low light conditions, my C5050 if I switch it to 'P' mode (program or full auto), iso 64, macro mode (flower sign), flash on (thunderbolt sign) and fully zoomed in it gives me shutter speeds of about 1/100 and between f5.6 - f8.0. Not bad and usable with an external strobe in manual and TTL.

Anyone else want to share....

Back
Top Bottom