Stupid Question about 120 HP Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a STUPID Question:
(Yeah, I have heard there is no stupid questions, BUT I can come up with a few!)

I have recently bought a HP Steel 120 Cu Foot Tank. It came with a DIN Valve. All my regs are Yoke. I know! I will likely eventually go DIN but . . . .

Can a Yoke valve be used on a HP (3500) tank? Can I use my Yoke regulator on it? Can I have it filled to 3500 PSI (assuming it has current VIS and Hydro)?

Will it affect my 1st/2nd Stage? Do they need to be adjusted to higher pressure and can I switch back and forth between the HP 120 and my current aluminum 80's?

Should I leave the DIN on tank and get an adapter OR change the tank valve?

My regulator (the XS Scuba Tri-Metal) comes standard with a 4000 PSI Yoke. But as I have read so far that JUST means the yoke and screw is just a bit heftier than others . . .?

THANKS!

Not stupid at all. In fact, it was asked a few days ago:

Other thread

Since I don't know much about your particular valve, I can't truly speak with authority. I use DIN now... although I did fill my PST's to 3500 when I had yoke.

Chris

I'd just get a DIN converter for your regulator.

If it is a 3500 psi as opposed to the new 3442 psi tanks, it will have a 7 thread DIN that will not accept a plug. Yolks will work on a 5-thread DIN that has a plug installed.

The 3500 psi 7 thread DIN valves are also known as 300 BAR, while the 5 thread valves are referred to as 200 BAR (or 232).

if you're only going tob e diving these tanks, or at least diving them most of the time, why not jsut swicth your reg over to din right now?

give us the valve thats on it (count the number of threads in it as well ) and give us the tank company an d fill pressure . But yeah easiest will be to convert your reg to 300 bar an adapter of around 35$. (unless you have a 230 bar reg wich is possible so give us the reg as well !)

To answer the other part of the question, some regs are not rated at 3,500 psi (one of mine for example). The one I have is rated at 3,000 psi. It is an older ScubaPro Mk10/G250 that was converted to DIN from yoke.

To be 99.99% safe, you should make sure the reg is rated at the higher pressure as well.

I use tanks with DIN valves that are fill-rated at 3,300 psi (older Al tank) and 3,500 psi (HP 120). The 5- and 7-thread valves do make a difference.

Dr. Bill

If you convert your reg as advised make sure and find a 300 bar DIN kit. You can use a 300 bar reg on a 232 bar tank valve, but not vice versa.

CD_in_Chitown:
If you convert your reg as advised make sure and find a 300 bar DIN kit. You can use a 300 bar reg on a 232 bar tank valve, but not vice versa.
300 bar will work with a 232 bar valve , you are fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom