Study Spanish with a side order of scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a short April vacation (max 6 vacation days plus a weekend) in Mexico. I need to brush up on my Spanish for work, so the first priority is a good language school (I'll probably take private lessons). If I can fit a little diving into the schedule, than Mr frogoutofwater will be interested in coming with me. We're based in NYC. We're not interested in Puerto Vallarta for this trip (I visit my dad there sometimes in the winter but I don't find it a very interesting or attractive place). Options on the list so far include Baja and Yucatan. In Yucatan, Merida looks like an interesting city and is supposed to have a good language school - but obviously, the diving is some distance away. Playa del Carmen also has a few language schools, but I'm concerned that the town will be too touristy - perhaps too much like P.V. In Baja, I've read about schools in Ensenada and La Paz. Getting there, however, might take too much time on such a short holiday.

As for the diving, the plan likely would be to fly down on a Friday, dive on Saturday and Sunday, study Spanish Monday-Friday, dive Saturday and head home Sunday. On this schedule, our diving doesn't have to be in the immediate vicinity of the place where we study Spanish, but it needs to be relatively close and easy to get to within a half day (by rental car?). Mr frogoutofwater and I are novice divers (I've got about 35 dives, he has about 45, but we've only dived a few times in the past year and are a bit rusty, so we're not keen on super-deep diving).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I am flying to PDC on Monday for a two week course. Private leasons - five hours a day. This is a work related course, but since I got to choose where. This is it. The good thing is that it is close to Cozumel, the cenotes, etc.
I can let you know at the end of next week how it goes.
If it works out, I will try to get some tech courses in.

Hasta,

Hello, there is a spanish school in Cancun with more than twenty years teaching people from all around the world www.cancunlanguage.com ; my name is Alvaro Gonzalez and I´m a scuba diving instructor PADI OWSI 169884 and CMAS P3-MEX-2891, I take care of the students that want to do scuba diving, we have been working together since long time ago, certifiing from open water to dive master, I also do dives in Cancun, cenotes, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, we are coordinated with the school schedules in order that you can dive any day you want.
Try my web site alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME
I´m shure that you are going to find what you are looking for in terms of price, time and different programs to choose.
www.cancunlanguage.com
Regards and remember ¡¡¡Keep your bubbles up!!!

In Cancun, I would recommend Ben@mayanaquadive.com. Has great rates, fast boat and excellent staff. The reefs around Cancun are about 40ft and very healthy. Lots of marine life and very good viz. I would suggest you coordinate your trip prior to arriving. You get more bang for your buck so you are not deciding what to do.

Just noticed you are in Paris. I was there two weeks ago on a business trip. Stayed at the Marriott on Blvd St. Jacques. We commuted to Massy everyday, and had excellent dinners in the Latin Quarter. Also, the best place was Auberge Etchegorry - Restaurant spécialités du Sud-Ouest Paris 13. I loved the cassoulet and the Bordeaux was excellent. Are you familiar with this place?

Bonne plongée!

Jack

Thanks everyone. I don't think we'd want to base ourselves in Cancun (too built up and touristy, based on what I've heard) for the "study Spanish" part of the trip but since we can fly direct to Cancun, it might be worth considering for the start and end of the trip as a base from which we can dive. For most of the week, we'd rather be based in a town or city that retains some authentic Mexican character - one of the reasons we're considering Merida, for example.

Does anyone have any views on the comparative diving quality of Baja versus Yucatan?

Thanks everyone. I don't think we'd want to base ourselves in Cancun . . . For most of the week, we'd rather be based in a town or city that retains some authentic Mexican character - one of the reasons we're considering Merida, for example.

Does anyone have any views on the comparative diving quality of Baja versus Yucatan?

Cozumel, should be worth your consideration. . . their are several language schools, and a block away from the Cruise ships, it becomes a authentic Mexican flavor. Very friendly people, More english speakers than Miami, and charming to anyone wanting to speak to them in their language.

Go to the "Mexico. . .Cozumel" board and search for Spanish schools. There were several threads a few months ago. There is a "Sticky" at the top of the page, giving hotel, diving, weather and restaurant recomendations. And the diving is spectacular. The water is warmer, the coral is spectacular, fish life is thick, and the current moves you along paradise, like a moving escalator at an airport. The boat drops you into lovely reefs then follows you till you surface, with the boat right there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom