Stuart Cove - Thoughts? & New Providence Dive Site Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitannia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to be heading to Nassau in two weeks (Nov 26-Dec 2). Just curious if anyone has dove with Stuart Cove and if I can get some thoughts. I've read many mixed reviews but don't know the level of experience of those who give the positive reviews vs. the negative.

However, what has been consistent is that its a large number of divers on a boat. Perhaps that is why there are such a mixed bag of reviews.

Also, any recommendations on dive sites in New Providence? I heard Shark Wall is nice.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations! Your opinions will determine whether or not I dive at all in the Bahamas.
:)

I dove with SC four years ago, as a fairly new diver, and found them to be incredibly accommodating and professional. There was a mixed group of seasoned divers and newbies, including four people doing their open water cert dives. We all had a blast, and I can't seem to remember anyone grumbling. They are pretty strict about getting to the boat early enough and finishing the dive when they tell you to, but the briefings were professional, and the divemasters seemed to pay attention to everyone.

Was there earlier this year. No complaints, great diving, fantastic staff, professional and fun. I like wrecks, big life and sharks. Saw a lot of all of that. Some days, there were 20 divers on the boat, and some days there were 6 people on the boat. On the days there were a lot of people, my buddy and I hit the water before everyone else and "did our own thing". I think if you politely identify yourself to the divemasters and the girls in the shop assigning boats, and let them know your skill level and the kind of diving you want to do, they can probably accomodate you.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Its more comforting to hear that its not ALL bad. :) I just like the smaller groups but it doesn't sound like there's much choice in terms of dive ops in New Providence.

Glad I ran into this thread... I'm thinking of heading down this winter and was curious about SC as well. More than anything do I want to dive with sharks, and they seem to the "the place" to dive with sharks!

SC seems to have larger groups but they always have 2+ DMs/instructors on each boat. I think any dive operator is occasionally going to face a bad situation, and since Stuart Cove's has hundreds of people going through it a week there are bound to be more people who will take exception to some little petty thing. I was slightly hesitant before diving with them because I had read some bad reviews but we were with them for a week and had a great time!

Rick is right, all is fine on the water and under it. Lots of people going thru the place as you get hundreds of cruise ship people doing the sub, snorkel and scuba experiences. Outside that pandemonium you will find the diving first class. Not a small operation or a bad one, they do will with the number of people they run thru. They cost more than places on other islands but they can get it from us cruisers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom