Stroke=Divemaster completion delay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcey

Contributor
Reaction score
So my goal of finishing Divemaster sometime this year has been put on hold thanks to a stroke I had early last week caused by a bad chiropractic adjustment to my neck which tore my vertebral artery in my neck thus causing a clot to get thrown causing a stroke. (I thought a brush with death would be a nice way to come home from a vacation on Bonaire...:shocked2:) I'm flipping my s**t not only because I almost died and am now having to learn how to walk again (good times:depressed:) but because I'm now left wondering what the hell I can do to keep myself busy with Divemaster stuff while out of the water other than having extra time to study for those lovely exams I love oh so much? I haven't talked to my instructor yet since my stroke since I've been stuck in the hospital since the day it happened and every time I talk about the fact that I can't dive for awhile I get all girly and emotional. :( I figure I can hide here behind my computer in the hospital until I get released and can get the strength to talk to him.

So...Is there a decent amount of classroom stuff I can help with? Surface support at the pool and lake? Or am I pretty much left with studying for exams and becoming a fixture at the dive shop just to get my neoprene fix and maybe learn a trick or two in the art of air fills and gear repair? Not that any of that is time wasted but I'd really like to knock off some signatures on that sheet if I can along the way...:banghead:

*sigh* I know I'm very lucky and blessed to be alive or even able to walk again after the type of stroke I had and I shouldn't be this upset about diving...but it's my thing. I've worked so freaking hard to get to where I am as a Divemaster Candidate and I'm just lost. Diving what I do and a major part of who I am as I know it is for a lot of us and not being able to do it for God knows how long is killing me. Kwim?

I guess on the bright side the day I do finally finish Divemaster will be even MORE of an accomplishment now than ever before and will sort of be like me giving my stroke the middle finger and setting it on fire.:popcorn:

Thanks in advance for listening to me cry and for any and all advice!

I feel for your pain & angst, but you sound determined to become fully functional again - with a can-do attitude, nothing is impossible. You know we are always here to support you & listen if needed.

I hope you will have a full & speedy recovery - please post up your progress so we know how you are doing.

John

I'm glad to hear you're on your way to recovery!

I would take all the extra time you have on your hands now to actually read up and absorb some of the material you're given in the class.

You don't mention which agency's course you're taking, but from your profile I assume it's PADI's so I would suggest you get started with the ERD. Actually read it don't just answer the questions from the workbook.

If that's not enough you can hit the Rubicon Foundation site and read up on some more dive theory. Dynamics of Decompression by Karl E Huggins should keep you busy for a long while.

Understanding M-Values by Erik Baker is also a good read IMO.

I don't know how long your thought your DMC would take, but if you use it wisely the more time you spend at this stage the better off you are I think.

Don't rush it and get well soon.

You are truly dedicated to diving. I'm sure you will make a fine DM, considering it's on your mind when you are facing learning to walk again. I hope you will keep us posted on your progress.

First, my sincere sympathies for your injury . . . a vertebral dissection is not a minor problem, and I hope you can make a complete recovery.

But while you are laid up . . . why not take the time to expand your education, and learn enough to become a better DM than you would otherwise have been? Consider, for example, purchasing the book, Deco for Divers, and studying it, and at the end, knowing far more about decompression than your DM class would have taught you.

Consider signing up for some type of critter ID class -- Reef, or anything similar -- that will make you a much better guide and a more inspiring leader for your students. There is nothing to cement their interest in the underwater world than piquing their curiosity about the things they see there.

Consider contacting technical instructors in your area . . . ask to sit in on their lectures, or attend pool or open water sessions. Especially if they use video in their classes, you can sit in on the video reviews. They are extremely educational. You can learn a lot about the mindset of tech divers, and decide if you want to bring any of that back to your diving or your guiding or teaching.

No time is wasted, unless you think it is. Time above water is intellectual learning time, to enrich your understanding of what you will do underwater when you return.

I second the comments from the others; but to specifically address part of your query:

So...Is there a decent amount of classroom stuff I can help with? Surface support at the pool and lake? Or am I pretty much left with studying for exams and becoming a fixture at the dive shop just to get my neoprene fix and maybe learn a trick or two in the art of air fills and gear repair? Not that any of that is time wasted but I'd really like to knock off some signatures on that sheet if I can along the way...

If you were associated with my shop, I'd welcome you into my classes, especially with the attitude your post indicates. In the classroom, it's always useful to have extra staff to help with explanations, checking paperwork, etc.
Poolside it's especially helpful in the first pool session for the Open Water class to help students with mask fitting, demonstration of equipment assembly, keeping track of number of laps swum, etc.
Beyond that extra help at any time is welcome. Sometimes it's as simple as running errands, or finding the missing student who went for a snack between open water dives. Or it might be as complex as helping with injuries.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of this is likely to get you any more signatures, but by demonstrating a helpful attitude you might well endear yourself with other staff members, and that can only pay dividends downstream. And it's likely to earn you higher marks in the professionalism assessment. But bring a book so you don't get too bored when everyone else is underwater.

So chat with instructors, and hopefully you'll find one or more who would appreciate your efforts.

best wishes,

k

I can say that i understand your situation and frustration having gone thru chemo/radio and all the stuff that comes with it. Like said above, i read everthing that i could get my hands on about divng. Even studied the Deco for Divers book noted above and lots of Neville Coleman's Fish Id books. Take this time to read and learn out of the water as it will take your mind off your health while you recuperate and make you a better DM.

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

The fact that you are talking about it here is a good first step. I was stuck in a hospital and worked my way up to wheelchair when I was a kid. Since then I've bicycled from Santa Cruz to San Francisco, I raced motorcycles, flown aircraft and now working on my DM. That wheelchair is a distant memory.

You'll be a better person for this. I'm glad to hear you are on your way to recovery.

And just think, you'll have an interesting story to tell your grand kids. :wink:

Listen to your body and don't push it too much.

Darrell

Don't discount the value of the experience that can be gained from providing "surface support" in both the pool and OW settings. You'll be able to really critically pay attention to the instructors - more importantly - the students in a way that's just not possible when you're also diving yourself, and worried about whether you're doing the DM role satisfactorily, etc, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

*BUMP*

Good news...sort of. I go in for another MRI on the 27th of May and if the stent in my neck looks good and secure the doc said he'll most likely clear me for diving! :D

I now need to purchase a dry suit though. The nerves on the right side of my body are still out of wack and anything cold hurts like hell and since I dive here in the Midwest...yeah. :( Maybe I should throw the cost of a dry suit in with my medical bills as a form of pain and suffering for that d**m chiropractor that did this to me....:banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom