Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have experience using Sea & Sea strobes on a Sony housing...?

Wondering what the quantifiable difference is between a YS-25 & YS-90, and is it worth the extra $100-200....

-netmage

netmage:
Anyone have experience using Sea & Sea strobes on a Sony housing...?

Wondering what the quantifiable difference is between a YS-25 & YS-90, and is it worth the extra $100-200....

-netmage

For macro not much diff probably because the strobe power never really comes into play for digi cams (max f8 aperture - depth of field is close to f22 film but light entering is still f8).

Wide angle totally different story:
YS25 - 70x80 degree coverage (not enough for even a 20mm lens probably) also does not have enough power to effectively light a wide scene.
YS90 - 105X90 degree coverage this will cover most wide angle lenses for sea and sea but will have to be aimed well it will also be able to effectively light the scene.

To increase coverage you could always use a diffuser, at the cost of power. So for ys25 to gain the extra coverage will be at a significant cost to power (amount of light). Sorry this is badly written but hope you get the idea. I would personally spend the extra and get the ys90 if you can afford it and are intending to do WA. $100 doesn't seem like a lot to me to have that ability to expand your setup.

I agree, the YS90DX is the better choice. More powerful, better coverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom