Strobes that can link to a A720is in Canon Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone link me to, or tell me how I could connect say, a Sea&Sea YS27 to my A720is?

Will the Sea&Sea fire when the Canon fires? Or will the Sea&Sea fiberoptic cable work somehow or can it be modified for use with the canon housing?

If anyone has a similarly priced solution to the problem, as in strobe manufacturers, etc, I'm all ears. I just have access to Sea&Sea at the LDS I like.

i use this strobe with a Canon A570is. All you have to do is use this Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Sync Cord L Type for YS-27DX, YS-110 and YS-25 Auto (Mfg #50107) from LeisurePro.com with the velcro mask set. You basically fit the mask on the external of the case, right in front of the flash on the camera. Then hook up the fibre optic cable. To be honest, its ridiculously overpriced, for what is essentially an optical cable from a sound system and a patch of velcro, but it does work. Incidentally, i have a spare i made myself for about $5, but igot the sea and sea kit as part of the housing and strobe deal.

Since the strobe is a 'slave' (fires when it senses the flash from the camera) to use the YS-27dx, you have to be in manual mode. Set the on-camera flash output to the lowest setting (saves battery life and lowers recycle time) and make sure that 'red eye reduction' is off. Set your Av and Tv values, and set the dial at the back of the strobe to the middle. You'll want to set the strobe on-switch to the 'direct fire' mode - ie it fires as soon as it sees a flash from the camera. *See below for a note on the pre-fire ignore mode* Take a shot. If its dark, dial it up a bit, or open up (lower number) the aperature (shutter speed has no bearing on the strobe output, since it is over way too quick. The size of the hole you let the light through does affect it though) If its too light, dial it down or close the aperature.

personally, i like to keep the aperature as small as possible, to get maximum depth of field. I keep ISO at 80, and set the shutter to 1/30 or 1/60. Using these setting i find its pretty easy to get it dialled in for macro shots with a couple of clicks.

* using the camera in manual like this makes the "pre-flash ignore mode" on the strobe irrelevant. The camera wont "pre-flash" in manual anyway, and if you use the camera in Av or Tv modes, when the flash will pre-foire (to set the correct exposure) you completely wipe out any of the calculations made by using the strobe because itll fire at whatever level you set it too on the back

hope this helps. As you can see, i like talking about this, so i tend to go off.

try here for DIY http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23789

Last edited:
i use this strobe with a Canon A570is. All you have to do is use this Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Sync Cord L Type for YS-27DX, YS-110 and YS-25 Auto (Mfg #50107) from LeisurePro.com with the velcro mask set. You basically fit the mask on the external of the case, right in front of the flash on the camera. Then hook up the fibre optic cable. To be honest, its ridiculously overpriced, for what is essentially an optical cable from a sound system and a patch of velcro, but it does work. Incidentally, i have a spare i made myself for about $5, but igot the sea and sea kit as part of the housing and strobe deal.

Since the strobe is a 'slave' (fires when it senses the flash from the camera) to use the YS-27dx, you have to be in manual mode. Set the on-camera flash output to the lowest setting (saves battery life and lowers recycle time) and make sure that 'red eye reduction' is off. Set your Av and Tv values, and set the dial at the back of the strobe to the middle. You'll want to set the strobe on-switch to the 'direct fire' mode - ie it fires as soon as it sees a flash from the camera. *See below for a note on the pre-fire ignore mode* Take a shot. If its dark, dial it up a bit, or open up (lower number) the aperature (shutter speed has no bearing on the strobe output, since it is over way too quick. The size of the hole you let the light through does affect it though) If its too light, dial it down or close the aperature.

personally, i like to keep the aperature as small as possible, to get maximum depth of field. I keep ISO at 80, and set the shutter to 1/30 or 1/60. Using these setting i find its pretty easy to get it dialled in for macro shots with a couple of clicks.

* using the camera in manual like this makes the "pre-flash ignore mode" on the strobe irrelevant. The camera wont "pre-flash" in manual anyway, and if you use the camera in Av or Tv modes, when the flash will pre-foire (to set the correct exposure) you completely wipe out any of the calculations made by using the strobe because itll fire at whatever level you set it too on the back

hope this helps. As you can see, i like talking about this, so i tend to go off.

try here for DIY Really Cheap Optical Cables - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Np - does the Velcro Mask come with the strobe? Or is that a separate part?

It comes as a seperate part. Youll end up buying the Strobe, the fibre optic cable and the mask set seperately, them hooking them all together. Its expensive for what you get, but it definately works (100% reliability for me so far).

To me, it really makes sense for them to market it as a complete kit, but they dont.

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/accessory/acce/digital.html

The top 2 items are the ones youre interested in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom