Strobes for new photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for a strob setup for a point and shoot camera. I was hoping some one can recomend a set up for under $400

What kind/brand of camera and housing? Ya gotta give us a starting point! :D

I just got a Sunpak G Flash, I've only used it once so I can't give you a lot of feedback but it seems to be pretty good. The best part is that it runs for about $180 and includes a handle and diffuser. I added a loc-line arm to mine for about $30. I bought the fiber optic cable for about $50. All total for less than $300 you can do pretty good with this set-up.

You can see my rig in this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=118441

Here's some good help on strobes in general:
http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

It would be really helpful to know what camera/housing you are shooting with...but if it is a compact camera, I would recommend something like a Sea & Sea YS15, maybe the YS25, or go with an Ikelite DS50 package. These will probably end up being slightly over 400 with an arm package, but well worth the money. All are quality products.

Personally, if you think you are going to be taking photos UW for many years then the strobe is not something i would go cheap on. Get yourself an Ikelite DS125 and this is something you can use for the rest of your life. If you get a tiny little strobe you will be dissatisfied with the results and want to upgrade in the future anyways and then you have to sell that one at a loss. Just get the good one now...

Oops. just noticed you live in Japan...go for a good powered Inon (not sure of the model numbers on those) or Sea and Sea (90 or 125)

Mike Veitch:
Personally, if you think you are going to be taking photos UW for many years then the strobe is not something i would go cheap on. Get yourself an Ikelite DS125 and this is something you can use for the rest of your life. If you get a tiny little strobe you will be dissatisfied with the results and want to upgrade in the future anyways and then you have to sell that one at a loss. Just get the good one now...

Oops. just noticed you live in Japan...go for a good powered Inon (not sure of the model numbers on those) or Sea and Sea (90 or 125)

I don't want a strobe bigger than the cammera and housing. I dont think I am going to get any thing elese any time soon.

I agree with Mike, don't scrimp on your strobe. Not saying anything against the Sunpak, as I'm not familiar with it. I love my Inon D-180, it's powerful and small...not much bigger than my fist. The D-180 is discontinued, I think their current model is a D-2000 that's the same size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom