Strobe setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys and Gals,

Looking for some help. I recently purchased my first camera and housing(Canon S90/ikelte) and have decided to add a strobe. I have done my research and settled on the Sea & Sea YS-01. I have contacted my 2 local dive shops and have done some Internet research on pricing for the whole setup and am a bit confused on the pricing. The prices are all over the place. The first LDS I called quoted me 650 and the 2nd quoted 460 while the Internet pricing is somewhere in between. My question is what are the real differences in the arm/tray/fiber optic setup? Are they really that different and are some really that much better than others? Since the strobe is the same I'm assuming the setup has to be the real difference in cost unless my other LDS really marks the product up that much.

Trays/arms vary in price and types. Couple of examples are the flex arm type versus the arms with joints that have to be loosened/tightened when re-positioned. It's a personal preference. The joint arm types have more range of motion. Some examples are:
trays_housings.jpg

As for the strobe I bought my older Sea & Sea YS-27DX and tray/arm setup from an eBay seller named nyxell.

He currently has the YS-02 with cable for $265. and the YS-110a for $539. but I don't see the YS-01 at this time. You can e mail him and inquire. I saved a lot of money buying from him. He is reliable and prompt and is also a diver. His website is HERE

Back
Top Bottom