Strobe recommendation for Canon G7X MkII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunrock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I wonder if someone can make a good recommendation for my wife's setup. She has the Canon G7X MkII in a Fantasea housing with Ultralight tray and arms. I set her up with two of my old Inon Z240s and she was quite happy. The problem is one of the Inons failed. I've sent it in for service but after over two months waiting I'm told that the shop just can't get parts from Inon for a repair. I had her try an Ikelite D161 next but it's too big for her to manage comfortably. I personally shoot using dual YSD2s but several of my friends and I have all had problems with them so I don't want to go that route either, in fact one of mine has also been out for repair for over two months.
So in essence here's what I'm asking:

1. What's a good strobe that's not Inon, Ikelite, or a S&S YSD2?

or

2. Does someone make a beefier tray/arms set for compact housings that could better accommodate the D161s?

and lastly
3. Is it true you just can't get Inon strobes repaired anywhere? I have heard of other people having difficulty with this.

Look at the Inon S2000. Good size for the G7Xii.

I'd also suggest the S-2000, good price and very compact. The problem with the lkelites is going to be balance, they are bigger than the housing, the S-2000 has lower power output but you don't need to stop the G7X down for Depth of filed like you do a full frame SLR. f4 on the G7X is equivalent to f11 on a full frame camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom