Strobe positioning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivla80

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Heya,

I am relatively new to photography, and just purchased a PnS camera, Canon SD800 IS (to replace the same one i lost UW)..
I got myself a cheap strobe too (Sealife SL960D), and the whole rig looks pretty alright for leisure photography.

I am not lookin to take magazine quality pics, but was just wondering how to position the strobe for macro shots, where I have to go really close. If i position the strobe too near the subject, it gets washed out. I can't use the internal flash cos i blacked out the flash diffuser, and if i use the internal flash without the diffuser, weird shadows appear...

My question is, how can I take macro shots with the strobe, and not having it over exposed? Also, when taking normal shots of reefs, or other divers, what is a good method for reducing back scatter? I've read up a bit on positioning the strobe as far away as possible from the lens and position it at a slanted angle, but when i tried that, there was still a high degree of scatter..

Please help a novice photographer like me... I would hate to take lousy pictures of beautiful U/W life... THanks!

Since no one answered your question about macro photo's, position your strobe over the lens pointing down. Put it as high as you can, but not more than 20". I think your strobe has a 1/2 power. Try that. I usually position the strobe to slightly back lite the subject.

And yes - practice practice.

Back
Top Bottom