strobe on Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Kazma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, from this post you will know that I am just starting UW photography and have no Idea what Im doing. That said....

I just got a Canon DSLR with Ikelite housing. I do not have the $ currently to get a strobe for the setup. I do have a sea & sea strobe from my point and shoot setup but the strobe uses a FO cable. This may sound like a stupid question but is there any way to connect it to my new system?

That depends on your camera.
If the strobe of your camera pop up fully and fire, then you can use a FOTS (FiberOpticTriggeredStrobe)
If it don't - like on my Nikon D90 in a Ikelite housing then, well, "*!?/&%,
you can't use a FOTS and need a ETS (ElectricalTriggeredStrobe)
If you get a Ikelite DS125/160/161/200 ETS you will have TTL, if you get another strobe you
need (if applicable) a TTL converter or need to learn regulate your exposure manually.

Chris

P.S. Just to learn what others think about electrical or optical triggering: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39110&hl=

If you get a Ikelite DS125/160/161/200 ETS you will have TTL, if you get another strobe you
need (if applicable) a TTL converter or need to learn regulate your exposure manually.
[/url]

Ikelite DS51 and DS50 strobes with higher serial numbers than 7000 will also give you TTL. You should be able to get a used DS50 for around $200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom