Strobe link question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veryfastrunner2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a dc500, dc600, and now an dc800. Wondering if there is a DIY option for the opitical strobe link. They are 30.00 (need 2) on line. I would like to take both
(600/800) underwater at the same time and switch them out when the battery runs low. I know the 800 now has a longer battery life and have not used it yet (RI water temp. is 38 degrees).

Thanks,

Andy

I used a Toslink and lightly trimmed (razor) the plug square end until it was round and fit snugly in strobe receptacle. Works fine. I use short velcro cable ties to keep the cable snugged to my grip/arm assembly.

VeryFast,

The method that we use to hold the FlashLink in place on the camera does not really allow for a quick change. there are teeth inside the attachment piece on the camera that are one way meant to hold the cable in so swapping out underwater would be tough. You could rig something up with some velcro but would not be optimum as it might move around a lot and run the risk of misfiring/non firing if not aligned properly.

I am sure there is a way but I haven't had any experience with switching between two cameras underwater.

Sorry couldn't be any more help.

I know what you mean. I guess I could hook up two flash link cables to both sides of the strobe seeing the strobe head has 2 hot spots and then attach the different rings and have one "floating" until I need it.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I just need to get into the water and see. Hopefully the long life battery on the dc800 will allow me to not use the dc500/600, maybe sell them on the board.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom