Strobe-Flashlight care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Zeagle Strobe-Flashlight but I'm not sure how to care for it. Please keep in mind I'm also a new diver, so I may not know basic cleaning methods.

I assume I am supposed to clean the O-ring around the the end where the batteries go, however I cannot remove the O-ring. Am I supposed to do so? Then add silicon around the O-ring before I dive?

The top end of the flashlight side seems to have an O-ring as well but I can't even remove the top of the light to even get to the O-ring. Am I supposed to do so here as well?

I dive in salt water.

Thanks!

Since Zeagle seems to be away somewhere the past few weeks (I didn't get my question answered on this forum either) I'll try to answer some basics for you.

If you search "how to maintain your camera waterproof housing" - it will be maintained in about the same way. I am not familiar with the Zeagle strobe, so don't know about the specifics of it having a removable o-ring, but most are removable & replaceable on all of the equipment that I own. I totally replace my camera housing o-ring about every 2 years - flashlights, I haven't replaced any as yet but I personally don't use them as often as I use the camera.

This is how I maintain my o-rings:

Any equipment I take into salt water gets soaked in fresh water and I'll operate the buttons a couple of times as well to help dislodge any salt/dirt.

Take out and dry with cloth.

Open the housing and inspect O-ring. If I haven't opened it in a dirty environment or swam in a dirty environment and the o-ring & the groove it's in appears clean - I personally don't remove it every single time. They are tight - that's part of why they remain waterproof. There are little plastic o-ring remover tools available, some use a credit card, some pinch it up in their fingers. Don't use anything that could scratch it. Try not to stretch it too much. Inspect for any dirt or nicks/cuts. Rinse it off in clean water & put aside to dry. Clean groove it was sitting in with a Q-tip then follow up with a lint free cloth. Do the same to the opposing side of the equipment/housing groove. Slightly lube O-ring - you want it shiny looking but no excess - and reinsert it. Do final inspect before closing. Make sure it is clean & there is no lint/hair/whatever.

I'll dunk this in fresh water or the pool before taking back into the ocean just to be sure it's all ok & functioning as it should. Also, setting everything up the night before the next dive works best for me since I require a few cups of coffee in the mornings before I'm fully alert and I won't be rushing to catch the boat.

I store this without any batteries and often not fully tightened/closed - my feeling is why compress the o-ring unnecessarily if it is just being stored.

Pyrosea has a pretty great answer. I'll go with that!!!

Sorry, I have been working on the road for the last couple of weeks, and haven't really had time to keep up with ScubaBoard! I'm back now! :)

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom