Strobe arm is too short for macro with Sealife SL961 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natali

Registered
Reaction score
I have Canon S95 with RecSea housing, and i added a macro wetlens to it. so now the flash needs to pint right where the lens ends (i can shoot about 1/2 inch from the lens).

I cannot get the strobe to point that close to the lens, the light falls at least 2-3 inches in front of the lens, so my shot is all dark.

Are there any tricks, like perhaps strobe arm extension, or do I need a different strobe for the shooting with macro lens?

Thanks

Wow that is nice and close. Of course the SL961 arm system is not designed to get the head that closehowever there are couple of options that can apply here:

1) By working with UltraLight Control Systems, Ultralight Control Systems, you can either pick up an arm system that the head will attach to, we use a standard 1/4x20 screw to attach the head to the arm, or you can be more adventurous, and add a couple of ball and clamps to extend the head off the arm and add the mobility to get it right where you need it.

2) Consider the SL980 Photo, Video Light. This 500 lumen light which has a color temp right around the same as the flash offers a quick release which allows it to be removed from the arm for positioning exactly where you need it. And the light also has 3 power settings, 100-50-25% which allows you to reduce power when you are in that 1/2" range.

Hope this helps but if you need anything else, I am around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom