Strobe Angles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shayne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
can anybody let me know what are the best angles for single strobe photography. Do both Macro and Wide Angle. I use an Intova IC-10 with IS-2000 Intova strobe.

I am glad you asked this question. I am using the same set-up. I keep getting a shadow in the lower left corner of photos. I have tried moving the strobe all over the place.
Have you found any good settings for yours Shayne? I playing around with the EV settings, but all my shots so far have been in a pool at night, so I can't really tell a ton of difference.

I was using the strobe tonight and found that the distance from the object seems to have a great affect on where that shadow appears have played around underwater to get rid of it. one thing did notice is the angle of the strobe element normally horizontal but have tried in the vertical posistion seems to work better also use EV setting of around -0.7 - -1 works best.

For a single strobe, I believe that one good way is to have the strobe mounted above the lens, pointing straight forward with a good diffuser. Never point the strobe at the subject (unless it is essentially infinitely far away) but alway try to expose with the edge of the beam.
Bill

Think of the object as a target and you want to light the target from the side as much as possible, even macro and micro works best from the side and high. If you light directly you will get back scatter as you are illuminating all the particles in the water between you and the target! Macro is a little easier because you can use lower setting and less water between you and the target! If you are using one or two strobes you want to aim so that the light (Strobe) is just in front of the target! So if your strobe is to the left you want to set it so it picks up the right edge of the target to the lessen back scatter! It is easier to think of two strobes crossing each other and that is where you want them so the beam crosses just in front of the subject! Strobes are only effective up to 3 to 4 feet max! Water is 800 times as dense as air! Never put the strobe ahead of the lens as it will light up the glass of the lens! 45 degree angle up to the left is the best place for the strobe! If you think of a clock you want the strobe between 10:00 and 11:00 on the face! Never put the strobe in line above or below the camera, it isn't even that useful on land!

I am glad you asked this question. I am using the same set-up. I keep getting a shadow in the lower left corner of photos. I have tried moving the strobe all over the place.
Have you found any good settings for yours Shayne? I playing around with the EV settings, but all my shots so far have been in a pool at night, so I can't really tell a ton of difference.

I would say you have something between your flash and the lens! Flat port? It is casting the shadow from something on the front of the camera! You can get the same thing on land if you use a sun shade and flash unit it will cast shadows in the lower portion of the camera! Make sure the strobe is pointed fare enough away from the front of the camera that nothing is picked up! Strobes are measured in degrees of coverage 180* is everything in front of you 90* would be half of that! So think of the strobe as a cone! A 70* to 90* cone is good coverage and needs to be match to the lens! But as I was saying you want the right edge of the cone on the right edge of the target! To remove all shadows it has to be macro or two strobes! Shadows are not always bad! :wink:

I guess that i have to disagree with PapaBear. If you look at Martin Edge's books (3rd or 4th edition) he talks quite a bit about strobe positioning for a single strobe and macro. Paraphrasing him.
Put the strobe above the subject (in line with the lens axis)
Aim a bit above the subject so the subject is illuminated by the edge (not the center) of the light beam
Put flash behind the port (not for backscatter but to keep from scaring the subjects)
Aim upward like 15 degrees or a bit more

If you don't have Martin's book you should get it, it is full of great advice. Scott's videos are also a good place to start. If you have a shadow something is between the strobe and the subject. I have used this technique quite a bit and it works great.
Bill

Well to each his own, but I will stick with what works for me! If you read my post I said BS was less of a problem with Macro and Micro because your shooting through less water! If you have the right strobe you should be able to aim it correctly without washing out the subject! Short cuts are not always the right thing to do! This shot would not work with the strobe above the lens! But as I said whatever works for you!

820__MG_7030_Pederson_Cleaning_shrimp_BA_12-09_II.jpg

I am not sure why you said that your shot (which is very nice by the way) wouldn't work with the strobe above the lens? I don't see much shadow evidence here, certainly nothing that suggests the strobe was off to the side. What am I missing. By the way, I wasn't suggesting a shortcut but rather a type of positioning for lots of macro shots that works without lots of fiddling. Wide angle is a whole different story.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom