Strobe and the C5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorptc

Reaction score
I will firstly apologise if this question has already been answered, but I would like to know is, what strobe to buy for an Olympus c5050 and the PT-015. :confused:
I have been told by the store that the best combination to use is the Ikelite DS-125 as you can utilise the TTL metering of the 5050. however they are far more expensive than the Sea & sea and perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing. Please help I do not know which to pick.

I wouldn't say the best, but your store is right about the Ikelite and the TTL feature of the DS-125. With TTL, your camera judges the conditions and sets your camera for you to what it feels will result in the perfect photo. alot of people like and depend on TTL. Personally, I prefer having control over my camera settings and the results. That's probably because I learned photography before TTL was discovered so I've never become dependent on it. If it's something you want, you'll have to go with the Ikelite.

If you haven't guessed, I have a S&S YS90DX. It has 12 power settings that you manually change, which isn't hard to do. In fact being able to see your picture immediately, you can easily see if you need more or less light. I have found that I generally only need to change settings with about every 10-15ft of depth. Some have said the velcro connection of the fiber optic cable gives them trouble put mine has never even come loose. It's more streamlined and simple than the Ikelite sensor that needs to be aimed at a specific spot on the camera. and on top of that it's cheaper.

Dee once bubbled...
I wouldn't say the best, but your store is right about the Ikelite and the TTL feature of the DS-125. With TTL, your camera judges the conditions and sets your camera for you to what it feels will result in the perfect photo. alot of people like and depend on TTL. Personally, I prefer having control over my camera settings and the results. That's probably because I learned photography before TTL was discovered so I've never become dependent on it. If it's something you want, you'll have to go with the Ikelite.

If you haven't guessed, I have a S&S YS90DX. It has 12 power settings that you manually change, which isn't hard to do. In fact being able to see your picture immediately, you can easily see if you need more or less light. I have found that I generally only need to change settings with about every 10-15ft of depth. Some have said the velcro connection of the fiber optic cable gives them trouble put mine has never even come loose. It's more streamlined and simple than the Ikelite sensor that needs to be aimed at a specific spot on the camera. and on top of that it's cheaper.

Many thanks,

That explains quite a bit, so basically the choice is one of what you intend to use it for and being able to personally set the amount of light generation. Does TTL get it right! Would be my next question?
I think if the TTL works well then that would be a contributing factor for the Ikelite (ugly thing that it is).

Thank you for your time and answering what is possible an old type of question.

Scorptc once bubbled...
Many thanks,

That explains quite a bit, so basically the choice is one of what you intend to use it for and being able to personally set the amount of light generation. Does TTL get it right! Would be my next question?
I think if the TTL works well then that would be a contributing factor for the Ikelite (ugly thing that it is).

Thank you for your time and answering what is possible an old type of question.

No, TTL doesn't always get it right...that's one of the problems with it. There are too many variances to a photo for a preprogrammed computer chip to 'know' which one is right. If it chose the right settings everytime, we'd all be using it!

As much as I don't care for TTL, there are others who swear by it and can't or won't take pictures without it. You just need to decide if it's something you need. Learning to take pictures without it is very easy! :wink:

and I agree....the Ikelite is an ugly bugger, isn't it?

and I agree....the Ikelite is an ugly bugger, isn't it?
Hey! That's my STROBE you're talking about! :upset:

:D I agree, the YS90 is a much better strobe in aesthetics. The Japs have got that right.

Scorptc, if you haven't already here's some comments http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22600&pagenumber=1 I posted on the DS-125. They're both excellent strobes and produce excellent results It all boils down to presonal preferences, requirements and ofcourse how much you can borrow from your bank.

ReyeR once bubbled...

Hey! That's my STROBE you're talking about! :upset:

:D I agree, the YS90 is a much better strobe in aesthetics. The Japs have got that right.

Scorptc, if you haven't already here's some comments http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22600&pagenumber=1 I posted on the DS-125. They're both excellent strobes and produce excellent results It all boils down to presonal preferences, requirements and ofcourse how much you can borrow from your bank.

well its done now......... Ihave ordered the DS- 125 along with the C5050 and the PT-15 oh and a Epoque wide angle :)

Back
Top Bottom